Chapter 13 When Cindy finally lays down the law

Cindy's point of view

I am angry at being put in this position yet again! I do what I always do when I feel this way -I clean! I am scrubbing the bench top because I need to channel the anger and hurt I am feeling. Twice today my babies have left this house- their home – heartbroken because of Brian and his relentless stubbornness. I love him with every fibre of my being and that love is unconditional. I see him imperfections and all. I have always supported him and made excuses for his drive for success at all costs. There are no excuses for what he has done today and he needs to know that. Much calmer I walk into the lounge room.

Typical I have been scrubbing up a storm in the kitchen trying to reach a space where I can talk calmly to him and my pain in the ass husband is passed out on the couch. Twenty seven years of marriage I didn't think there was anything I didn't know or could surprise me about the father of my children. I was wrong. Oh so wrong.

I am appalled at his reaction to Travis. We have talked many times about our suspicions not that I cared. All I have ever wanted for my children is their health and happiness. Of all the times we have talked Brian has never revealed that he would or could react in such a way. I may love the man but no way do I endorse what he has done today. It disgusts me. I am tempted to wake him now and tell him what I think but I want him to be sober and totally conscious when I let him in on a few facts.

I am done with always being the peacemaker. It is time for some hard truths. All I have ever been is supportive and even when he has been at his most challenging I have never been rude to him. I respect him, I respect the sacrifices he has made and the determination it has taken to build up his empire when he came from abject poverty. It makes him a successful man it doesn't make him a god. He has no right to dictate to our adult children how they should live or to abuse them in the way he has to do. He had gone too far. Now I am left in this large house, with a drunk snoring on the couch and no idea where my heartbroken children have run to. He may have injured Bella more than he realises. Not only emotionally but physically. She should be checked out by a Doctor at the very least but she is not answering her phone so I can't arrange that. Neither of them are answering my calls or my pleas for them to call me which I have recorded on their message bank. I have even tried texting!

Brian has never raised a hand to our children or me ever. When I saw what he had done to my baby Bella I saw red. It took all of my self control not to punch him fair in the nose. I never want to see that side of him again. He had no right to redirect his anger at Travis at Bella. It's inexcusable. I cover his gently snoring body with a blanket and am surprised at how you and vulnerable he looks in this moment. I shed a tear or two as I turn off all the lights and head to bed. I need to get the best night sleep that I can so that I am fully prepared for tomorrow. He doesn't know it yet but he has only one option – fix this or we are done. I can't do this anymore. I will not let my children believe that I support what he has done in anyway. They mean too much to me. I know that the man I fell in love with is still in there. I hope my honesty is enough to shock him into seeing what he has done. If not I will be looking for a new start. Perhaps I could move to Greece with Travis and help Kosta and him raise their babies. I would like that. I smile as sleep claims me.

I awake to the smell of coffee and I find a very sorry looking Brian in the kitchen staring into a mug of coffee. He must be feeling bad because he usually is a tea drinker in the morning. Normally groomed within an inch of his life he looks like he has been dragged through a brush backwards. I make myself a coffee and turn to face my disheveled husband. He looks at me through red rimmed eyes and makes the move to stand up.

"I am heading for a shower. Then off the company. I have a ton of work to do."

Seriously he is going to pretend nothing happened. I have news for him!

I glare at him.

"No you don't, you are not going anywhere until we have had a talk. Sit back down. I don't care if you are late for work. For once in your life you can have the decency to put your family first!"

It is my turn to be angry and I am glad that Brian is taking me seriously.

Shocked he sits down "What do you want to talk about Cindy?"

Is he for real?

It is so tempting to slap the stupidity right out of his hung over face him at the moment but that isn't going to help anything.

"Brian let me start by saying how much I love you and it is because of my love for you I am I about to say what I am going to say. We have been married for twenty seven years and in that time you have never raised a hand to any of us. That changed yesterday you hit Bella and with such force you knocked her off of her feet. There is nothing our daughter has done to you that could justify such treatment. That girl would do anything that you ask of her. Has done everything that you ask and she asks for nothing in return. You refuse to give her the CEO position because you have this outdated notion that your heir should have a penis and she still stays loyal to you! You would rather force your son who doesn't even want the position- where in the hell is the sense in that?

But that's not enough for you is it? You aren't content with physically abusing your daughter you have to then break your son's heart! You decide to reject him because of his sexuality and can't fit into your plan for him to provide the next male heir. Do you realise how draconian that all sounds. We are not in the dark ages Brian. You have no right to tell our son who he should love. You have no right to tell our son that he is not good enough for you to love. I am beyond angry with you right now. I have never said anything like this to you in our long years together so that the fact that I am means you better take it seriously. There are no second chances Brian. Fix this or I am moving to Greece with Travis. I may love you but I am sick of fixing all your messes. The world has changed and the tolerance for homophobia is dwindling. My tolerance is non -existent. It's 2020 and in case you haven't notice gay people can get married legally and have children of this own. You could have a biological heir but you are too stupid and narrow minded to know that!

Brain stares at me in shock. This is a new experience for him it looks he isn't the only one who still has the ability to surprise.

"This isn't an idle threat. You better do something otherwise you will lose more than your precious company!"

"Ok love I will try and fix this. I am sorry I blew up about everything. I am sick with regret. I have been up half the night trying to work out why I acted like such an arse. The only thing I can think of is that I was so shocked at Travis standing up to me in that way that I drank too much and took it out on Bella. I will fix it. I promise. I don't know how but I will. You have to believe me."

"That may be the reason Brian but it doesn't excuse your behavior. You better bloody fix it Brian and I not just Bella - Travis too!"

"I will love; can I go for a shower now?"

He doesn't move until I nod my head. I hope he understands how serious I am. This man has no second chances.