chapter nine

"maybe i am a simp."

-

i saw his face light up, and he looked over at the screen, starting to blush. i started to feel anxious waiting for his reply. he starts to giggle, his eyes squinting, his crow's feet showing. his lips slowly curled into a smile, his dimples beginning to show as it grew wider. i started to blush as i began noticing these small, simple little details about him.

"well that makes two of us." he replied causing the heat in my cheeks to intensify. "oh and my dinner was great, just so you know." he added on. i shook my head and groaned as i threw my body onto my bed.

what have you gotten yourself into y/n i thought. i have never met this guy. i have only known him for a short period of time. i don't know why i was allowing myself to feel this way. the end of my last relationship had left me feeling unable to love and alone for almost 3 years now. this is the first time i have felt even the slightest bit of interest in someone in what feels like forever. i didn't want to open up and be vulnerable with someone, especially someone i had only talked to over a screen, but i couldn't help the way he made me feel.

everyone has always told me "you were 17! it was your first relationship! did you really think it was going to last?" they made me feel like i couldn't be upset over it as it was the first relationship i had ever been in. but i can still picture the night perfectly.

two years ago

"do you think he'll be surprised?" i asked val as we boarded the elevator. i hit the floor 3 button, preparing myself to see my boyfriend for the first time since he left for college, approximately 3 months and 13 days. val would go and stay with our friends ida and amanda for the weekend while i visited him. i had texted him earlier asking what time he would be in his room, pretending i just wanted to facetime him. he told me he wouldn't be back for another twenty minutes, but that was enough time for me. val and i stepped off the elevator, the sound of my suitcase wheels rolling on the carpeted floor matched the sound of my heart beating in my ears.

we stopped at his door and i reached my hand into the mail slot, slightly to the left. he had told me where the spare key was for if he ever forgot himself and needed someone he could trust. i pulled the key through the door and unlocked it, pushing it open to reveal the open living room. as i wheeled my suitcase over, i noticed something that made my heart stop. two pairs of shoes by the door. a pair of black converse and a pair of white sandals. i put a finger over my lips in an attempt to shush val as i quietly shut the door behind us. walking on my toes i made my way into the hallway, looking for the room that belonged to my boyfriend. my heart began to pound as i slowly approached a room and set my ear against the door hearing muffled voices from inside. i gingerly placed my hand on the doorknob, turning it ever so slightly and my breath hitched in my throat. i pushed the door open and immediately felt tears welling up in my eyes.

there he was, lying beside another girl. his arm around her back, lightly tracing over her skin. he bolted up as soon as he saw me.

"y/n...i please listen to me. plea-"

i opened my eyes, the tears blurring my vision. i quickly wiped them away as i sat with my head in my hands. i didn't want to think about it. i didn't want to  remember anything about that day or how it completely broke me as a person. how it somehow made me believe it was my fault. i grabbed my cup of water with a shaky hand and took a sip, trying to clear my mind of her face, the way they were together, connected as one. thankfully, my thoughts were flushed away when the sound of screaming coming from my laptop filled my ears. i had forgotten about the stream. i turned back to the bright screen to see what was happening. a creeper had just blown up next to george and almost cost him the life of the cow he was leading. wanting to take my mind off i texted the groupchat.

dreamteam plus one

y/n: let me join the game i am begging

i heard the buzz of all of their phones through the stream as they responded.

george: sure sure

dream: don't ruin anything :)

sapnap: okay. get on vc.

i grabbed my headphones and walked over to my desk. i wasn't going to be streaming this game but i would play with the boys anyway. i joined the voice call and said hello. i heard george saying i would be joining the game to his stream while dream and sapnap said hello back to me.

"i am a BIG fan of you guys! i can't believe you are letting me play with you!" i said in a joking tone as i waited for the game to load.

"shut up." sapnap responded as i finally loaded into the game. i spawned in a desert with no sight of any landmarks in sight.

"uhhh guys?" i asked, spinning my character around, "what are the coords?"

suddenly they all burst out into laughter when they realized how far away i would be from their house. dream gave me the coords which happened to be about 1000ish blocks away. i began my journey to their house, talking about random things along the way. we talked about the firsdt time we ever played minecraft, how all the guys met and, obviously about nala. surprisingly, i only died twice. both times getting wheezes from the boys and unamused groans from me. after three long minecraft days and two painful nights, i had finally made my way to the house. i walked into the door while george was stood on a crafting table, reading through donations. when i turned around i saw a sight i wish i never had to see. although it was just the pressing of a few keys, it was so much more. everyone was silent for a few seconds before i chimed in.

"woah you two. get a room." dream started to wheeze at my comment and george's chat was going insane. i began to laugh as well and soon so did george and sapnap. i knew they would never live this down and somehow that made me enjoy it even more. i wiped the tears from my eyes as my laughter died down. i grabbed my mouse and walked over to the three of them, giving them all one punch.

"this is for leaving me STRANDED all alone to fend for myself with no weapons or armor OR food. you do not want to know the things i went through when i ran out of sprint in that desert." i said to them, alternating the punches. i quickly realized that was a very dumb idea as soon as i saw the netherite swords in their hands. they started chasing after me and i sprinted as fast as i could.

"PLEASE NO I NEED TO SET MY SPAWN. LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE." i pleaded with them as i ran as fast as i could in hopes of finding a bed and being able to save myself from another painful trip in the desert.

"PLEASE let me set my spawn i will do anything i cannot die again." i said as i stopped running to look at them.

"anything?" dream asked.

"maybe?" i answered suspiciously. hoping he didn't want me to do anything crazy.

"fine. we will let you live if you build statues of us as mayors in your survival world. take it to leave it." dream said, sounds of agreement coming from george and sapnap. i laughed at his request but ultimately accepted it. i play with them for about forty five more minutes until george ended his stream.

"goodnight guys. I'll get right to those statues on stream tomorrow. be there or be square..." i said to them before leaving the discord call. hearing various goodbyes as i left. i picked up my phone and was about to go onto twitter when i noticed an message notification

*you have been added to a groupchat

*bella changed the groupchat name to "top secret sapnap birthday bash"*

val: real subtle with that title bella.

bella: stfu val

eleanor: alright everyone. its time for the planning to begin.