Punjabi wedding rituals

OK so in this I will tell you guys about the wedding rituals, if u don't wanna know the details then u r free to skip!! (A/N at the end, do read it, it's important)

Punjabi Hindu Weddings: Pre-wedding ritualsRoka and Thaka

This ritual is the first in a long list of rituals. In the first instance called Roka or Rokna, the family of the bride visits the family home of the groom with a lot of gifts. The bride is usually not present that day.

This visit is then reciprocated by the groom's family and they visit the house of the bride. They bring a lot of gifts like dry fruits, sweets and savories, jewelries, money, et al. The couple is considered to be officially engaged and they are made to sit together and showered with gifts called shagun or sagan. They are also fed laddu. This return ceremony is known as Thaka.

This ceremony has always been a low-key affair and was originally treated as the date on which the two families decided to establish a relationship and fix the date of the wedding. But nowadays, Roka and Thaka are not organized separately. Depending on the convenience of both the families and availability of the key members from both sides, one ceremony is jointly organized.

This ritual usually begins with a small puja or prayer called ardaas to ask for the blessings of God in order to secure his blessings and complete support and consecrate the beginning of the journey.

Chunni Ceremony

Chunni ceremony marks the official engagement of the to-be-weds. Usually the family members of the groom visit the family of the bride with gifts. A red colored outfit like a sari or a lehenga-choli is gifted to the bride. She is also gifted a head scarf called chunni.

The family members of the groom also bring jewelries like bangles for the bride and also traditional sweets like meva, michri, fruits and mehendi (henna), a kind of dye to be applied on the hands and feet of the bride. These are considered to be gifts to the bride coming from the mother of the groom as a token of recognition of her as the fiancée of the groom.

The dupatta or the head scarf is placed on the head of the bride and her face is covered using it as a veil. This ceremony is called chunni chadana. Then her hands are dyed with mehendi and also the bangles are slipped onto her wrists.

The father of the groom puts meva into the "jholi" or bag of the bride and the parents of the groom also give her a date fruit to eat.

Some Punjabi Hindu families ask the groom to put vermilion mark on the forehead or hair parting of the bride.

Sagaai or Engagement

Often on the same day as the chunni chadhai ceremony, sagaai or engagement ceremony takes place. The bride and the groom exchange rings surrounded by their close friends and family members, thus officially getting accepted to the opposite family. Unlike western weddings, no marriage vows or vows of love are exchanged. Some families consider the exchange of rings as the final mark of acceptance of the bride coming into the family of the groom and vice versa.

In some Punjabi marriages, the rings are exchanged only at the end of the marriage and no separate event is organized.

Mehendi Ceremony (Henna)

Mehendi is an indispensable part of most Indian weddings, which is hard to miss. It is one ceremony which every Indian woman – married or unmarried, love. Usually mehendi artists come to the house of the bride a day or two prior to the day of the wedding. They create intricate designs with mehendi on the palm of the hands and feet of the bride. The designs are mind blowing. The friends and sisters of the bride also get the gesture extended to them. The only thing that the artist and everyone else, ensures is that the designs on others do not appear to be more ornate than those made on the body of the bride.