1. Calling it in

Asterin Hailey Winchester was not an idiot. She was not suicidal.

Which made her wonder why she was answering her phone for a Fed.

More like the fed, really.

She answered the phone. "Director Fury. To what do I owe this pleasure?" she asked, tone genuine.

"You're a hard woman to find, which makes me believe you may be the perfect person for a job."

"What job is it?" Asterin asked.

"I need someone to go undercover."

"Let me guess. You think my skills at disappearing could be an asset if you don't want to risk any of your agents," Asterin surmised.

"What do you know of my agents?" Fury seemed genuinely curious.

"Well, I know you have a guy who can't seem to miss, and a woman with red hair. I can't identify either of them other than them being elite agents. I also know you've had them following me."

"Well, Ms. Winchester, you must understand. You seem to be a person skilled in the art of escapes, and you seem paranoid about things my agents don't understand," Fury explained.

"I understand... How do I address you? Agent, Mister, Director?"

"You had it right the first time you addressed me."

"I understand, Director. As far as you know, I'm an unaffiliated party with the skills you might need. I am willing to help you, at least this one time."

"Good to know. I'll have someone bring you the information you will need to complete the mission."

"Thank you."

"Now, Ms. Winchester, I understand that you think that... supernatural entities are real?" 

Asterin took a moment to decide her answer. "What kind?"

"It doesn't matter what kind. Don't look for them unless you think there's no other thing it could have been."

"Understood," she said. She didn't really care that he probably didn't believe in these things. It didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. "Is that all?"

"Yes. I have an agent that will bring you what you will need to complete the mission."

"Understood."

"And Winchester?"

"Yes?"

"Don't think I don't know about your family's...interesting criminal records. I have a feeling you will be able to prove to some of my workers that you are worth the perceived risk."

"Thank you, sir," she said, allowing him to hang up.

____

After her first mission, she cleaned herself up and fell backwards onto her bed. The SHIELD uniform and her tools were in the closet behind a false panel. It felt good for her to be out saving people. Especially because for once, she was using legal means.

Her phone rang. She checked what day it was. Friday night.

She answered the phone. "Hey, Dean."

"Hey, Ash. Long day?" He asked.

"Yeah. How'd you guess?" Asterin sat up.

"Less energetic than usual."

"Yeah. I got a new job. You'll never guess what."

"What?"

"I might be a real Fed now," she said, smiling faintly at the thought.

"Really?" The disbelief was clear in his voice.

"Yeah. Got a uniform and everything."

"Well, I'm proud of you, Ash."

Warmth bloomed in her heart.  "Thanks, Dean. That means a lot to me."

"Well, Lisa's nagging me to go to bed now."

"Gotta listen to the girlfriend!" Asterin teased.

Dean laughed quietly. "Love you, Ash."

"Love you too, Dean. I'll keep you updated."

She closed her flip phone, closing her eyes.

_____

It was a week before she got a call again.

"Agent Winchester?" An unfamiliar male voice asked.

"Who is this?"

"I'm Agent Barton, of SHIELD," he introduced.  "I have reason to believe you've had contact with a partner of mine."

"Fury?"

"No. A woman by the name of Natasha Romanoff."

Asterin recalled the levelheaded agent.  "I teamed up with her for my first mission. I haven't spoken to her since."

"Well, she sent me a message in Morse code. She gave me her location and your name."

"Why are you calling me, then? Why not ask Fury?"

"I did. I asked him why she would have said your name. He claimed you're a specialist, but he didn't specify in what."

"Yeah, I guess I could be considered a specialist." Asterin sighed through her nose. "What's the plan?"

"I have your address. I'll swing by. Look for a black Jeep."

"Copy that."

Barton laughed. "You do know that real spies don't say that, right?"

Asterin grimaced. "Sorry, old habits die hard," she said, hanging up. She looked back to her phone. She opened the messages app.

Ash: I'm probably going to be late to the call tonight. I got a work thing.

Dean: Work work?

Ash: I think so.

Dean: Think so?

Ash:Yeah. Boss said I'm a specialist. Might be half and half.

Dean: Well, you know the standard.

Ash: Of course. I'm taking the standard fare, JIC.

Dean: Tell me how it goes.

Ash: Of course. I'll tell you when I get back in time for Curfew.

Dean: *Rolls eyes*

Ash: You know what I mean

A new message from an unknown number appeared.

??:Asterin. I'm here. It's Clint. Let me know when you're coming down.

Ash: Got it.

Ash: My ride's here. I got to go

Dean: Be safe

Ash: You know how well that goes. Do my best

She put away her phone, grabbing her standard pistol as well as her silver loaded one. There was a pentagram carved into the handle, so there was no mistaking the two. She slid her machete into the custom thigh holster she had made, and slid her iron and silver knives into place on her arm sheathes. She slid her journal into place at her belt, and she pulled on a leather jacket. She took a deep inhale, preparing herself for the night.

Ash: I'm coming down.

I'd say I'm trying something new,  but I'm not really doing anything new... 

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy!  I really like the concept for this one.