9. Memories aren't Always Good

The nightmares weren't what drove her from her room that night.

She knew she shouldn't have woken up when she did, even if she had been attempting to wake up herself...

It had something to do with the angel, she knew that much.

She emerged, her footfalls nearly silent as she walked, scanning the room. No one was there. She heard the murmur of voices in another room, and a door opened. She turned her head, hiding her alarm as she saw it was Dean.

"Hey. Can't sleep?" He asked.

"That obvious?"

"Not that obvious. Clowns or midgets?" He asked, walking to the fridge.

"Clowns. Definitely clowns."

"Do...do you want to talk about it?"

"I mean...kind of...yeah..." She said, looking down with shame.

"Hey, what's that about?" Dean asked, moving towards her.

"I don't know...I...it's just been a while...I...I'm not...."

"Hey, whatever it is, we'll figure it out, alright? Now, let's get some beers and sit outside. That sound good?"

"Yeah, I think so." Dean grabbed the beer and walked to the door with her. The siblings sat on the porch, and Dean passed one to her. "So...Can we talk about what's been bothering you?"

"I...wasn't really...I...well..."

"It's ok," Dean said quietly. "Take your time." Dean knew how it was sometimes difficult for her to talk, especially if she was nervous about something.

"I...I might've died? I don't know, the last thing I remember is a...hellhound? Hellhound case...Yeah. And...And then, I woke up on the ground?"

Dean was silent. He took a drink from his beer. "You were in Hell for ten months?"

"I...I don't know..."

"Ash, I know you remember what happens in Hell. You don't have to talk about it. I know I didn't want to."

"There's one thing, though." Ash sat forward, bracing her hands on her legs as she took a drink from her beer. "My...last day...I guess...There was a man. He had wings. I don't know why, but he raised me from Hell."

"Did he give you a name?"

Ash looked down. "Lucifer," she said quietly.

"Did you say Lucifer?" Dean asked, leaning forward with an intensity that spooked Ash. "Sorry."

"That's the name I was given. No idea if it was a demon or what. And I don't know if I want to find out."

____

"Hey. Time to go," Cap startled her out of her reverie. "You got a suit?"

"I mean...I got a jacket and mask back at my apartment. Where we heading?"

"Manhattan. Do you need to be dropped anywhere?"

"No, I can get there myself. Any information I need?"

"Loki is using Stark tower to kickstart the cube. I'll tell you walking." Ash got up and followed Cap. "Is there anything we'll need to know with how to take down Loki?"

"Well, my normal knife seemed to stall him, so my usual information isn't likely what needs to happen, but normally with Pagans, you off them with an evergreen stake."

"Fancy," Barton quipped from where he was coming out of Natasha's room, suited up.

"Look at you! All suited and ready!" She teased.

"That makes three of us," He quipped.

"Hey, I'm making a stop. Don't worry about it!"

"We need to get down there fast. Likely going to need to borrow a jet," Natasha interrupted their banter.

"Gotcha."

The four walked to the hanger, and found a jet. After they took off, Ash asked, "Is this hijacking?"

No one answered.

"Well, since no one's answering, that one's going off my bucket list."

Cap turned and looked at her. "What?"

"You may frown upon this, but...we, my brothers and I, we have a running list of the biggest illegal thing we can do without getting caught."

Cap fixed her with a look, squinting.

"Ok, you disapprove, but it's all in good fun. I might've even pulled ahead here."

__

Everything had gone to shit.

Jo had gotten bit by a hellhound because she froze.

Ellen didn't blame her, but it was her FAULT.

Well, she was cursed now, so she might as well try to help Jo.

Ash focused her energy to her hands, which started to glow. "Asterin?" Sam's voice snapped her out of her reverie. "What-"

"It's not important. I can help Jo," she said flatly, walking back to the girl who was holding her guts in. "Hey, it's gonna get weird, but I can help you."

"Well...we don't have much of a choice. I'm gonna die if you don't, or if you screw it up," Jo said flatly.

"But no pressure, or anything," Ash finished for her. "This might hurt a little," she said quietly. She gently placed her hands upon the injured girl's stomach, her hands still glowing softly. Ellen eyed her with thinly veiled distrust, but she had nothing to say because this girl-turned-stranger was the only chance her child had. The flesh knit itself back together under Asterin's hands, leaving a scar.

"Asterin, how long have you been able to do this?" Ellen asked.

"Since I got back." The door was slammed into by the hellhounds, making everyone jump. "Look. We don't have any good way to run this. The best way we have it is make a bomb and take those fuckers out."
"Who'll set it off?"

"Well, unless we can figure out a way to set a fuse and time it so the door opens when it blows..." Ash took a breath. "I'll do it."

The opposition was clear as she said this. "Are you nuts?!"

"Asterin, no!"

"Kid, think about it."

"Guys...hate to say it...she has a point," Jo started. "We've been talking a bit about what she can do..."

"I'm not letting my little sister be killed by hellhounds. Not again," Dean said.

"Dean, I ran the numbers. I'm the most likely to get out."

"Ash, you can't be serious," Sam said quietly.

"Sam, we're out of options."

Damn Remote Learning sucks.