Chapter 7 - Perfect Mother

“She said yes! She's such a good friend!” Tammy said, smiling. “Yes, she is.” Patrick then started reminiscing about everything she ever did to help him, and then his family.  “I remember the time when Kara was just a baby and you and her had super high fevers, So Sara came over in the middle of the night because I was panicking, and she stayed up all night with me caring for you guys.” “I don’t remember that. I mean I remember being sick, but I didn’t remember that.” “Yeah, she also helped me realize when we were teens, that I was really in love with you, not her. She is always there for me or you. Even though she was in the middle of something she dropped everything to help us, even though she has her own family and life.” “We have an amazing friend.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara got up off the grass, watching the children running. Brushing the grass off of her. "You know what, I just love how the children are all getting along with each other." She said, look down at Oliver. "Oh my dear, why did you say that out loud." "What? Why?" Just then they heard Ricky start screaming. Kara, not looking up from her phone, immediately yelled "I Didn't do it." 

Sara walked over to the screaming child. "Ricky calm down. Use your words." Sara said, putting her hands on his shoulders. "Amber won't let me be the dragon!!!!" "THAT'S because YOU are a awful dragon!!!!" Sara looked over to Amber and just gave her the look, Amber put her head down. Sara looked back to Ricky. "You know, sometimes we don't always get what we want. You know what I do, when I don't get something I want, that someone else has, or gets to do." Ricky shook his head. "I tell myself, I will let them have it. So it's like a gift for them. Because…" "Because giving is happier than receiving." "Exactly! Good job Ricky! Go on now." The little blonde got up and ran over to Amber and apologized for screaming in her face. After he left, Sara walked over to her, and whispered in her ear. "You know, it might go better for you, to compromise sometimes. Not all the time because he needs to learn. But you could be a little bit more understanding. He's 5 and you are older than him. Alright?" Amber nodded "Yes, Auntie." Sara hugged her. "Oh Amber! One more thing, No yelling, it doesn't help anything. Trust me." She nodded again. 

Sara started walking back over to Oliver. She remembered the only times she yelled angeredly. One was years ago. She was making a cake for one of Tammy's baby showers. And she told Oliver to take it out in 10 minutes, because she had to run to the store. And when she got back, it was still in the oven. She laughed, she really gave it to him. She stopped smiling when she thought of the other time. 

Alex and Allison were fighting all day, and she kept trying to get them to stop and just talk it out. But they wouldn't listen, she lost all of her patience, and yelled at them. And told one to go to the room, and other to sit on the couch. She has always dreaded that day, since then.

When she got up to Oliver, he could tell something was wrong. 

"Dear what happened? I thought you handled it really well." "No, it's not that. I'm sorry I'm a bad mother." Oliver was taken back. "What the heck are you talking about? You are a fantastic mother! Way better than mine!" "Dear, I'm sorry that's not saying much." "That's so true. My mother was awful. But honey, Are you kidding! It's like you have no faults." "But I yelled at you and them." "Like what, 5 years ago!" "I yelled at the kids like 6 months ago." " Wow, a big whoop, so you yelled at me once years ago, which I deserved! And you yelled at the kids once 6 months ago, wow! No dear, you are good. People will have weak times. That's all." "No. I need to be a better mother." "Are you kidding me! Stop!" "Are we fighting right now?" "I guess we are! Because you need to stop trying to be an angel because you are already perfect!" Sara stopped and put her hand over her mouth. And started crying. Oliver got up off the ground, and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm sorry Honey, I just don't like it when you are mean to my wife, because I love her so much. You need to be nicer to her, ok?" 

Sara nodded, getting his shirt all wet, with her tears

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Joe and Vicky got home, it felt like a ton of bricks got off of Vicky's shoulders. "Ugh. Man my leg hurts! I'm going to put it up for a while." Joe put AJ down and let him run after his brother. Joe got a pillow off the couch and put it on the ottoman for her. "You know I can do that right." "I know, but I want to." She smiled, sitting down. "You don't have to impress me, we have almost been married for 14 years." Joe smiled, picked her leg up, and put it on the pillow. "I'm not trying to impress you, I just do it because I love you." She smiled and looked down. "What if the injury flares up again. What if you have a cripple as a wife." Joe sat next to his wife. And moved the hair out of her face. "Well, if that happens then we will handle it together." Vicky grabbed his hand in agreement. "I'll go get you ice." 

Joe got up to the kitchen. She watched him. Her face started burning again, as tears came down. Joe brought back the ice and laid it on her leg. He looked up at her, and saw the tears. 

He started rubbing her leg softly. "My dear Vicky, I swore almost 14 years ago that I was going to love you though the bad and good." "But I'm so useless already! I can't stand for more than an hour, I can't find a job that I can do from home, so I can help with the bills, and I can't…. I can't" Vicky looked for air. "I can't give you the thing you always wanted……...a baby girl." Joe couldn't believe how distraught she was. "Oh, oh, my dear!" He scooped her up in his arms, as he rocked her back and forth on the couch. "No. No. That wasn't your fault, and you know that!" "But you lost the one thing you have always wanted." 

"My dear, wants change

"My dear, wants change. Now I have two beautiful boys, and all I want is them to grow up healthy. And you to be happy."  Joe stroked her hair. Vicky grabbed his hand again. "I love you so much, I'm sorry you have a crippled wife." "My wife is not crippled, she's strong, and doesn't give up. Not when she got in an accident, not when she lost her baby girl." She nodded. Joe kissed her forehead. She was not going to give up now. She has two sons to take care of.