Blue

She skipped the period.

The first time she didn't really notice, too far engaged in the Dubai case.
The second time she had a feeling something's off, but being held a prisoner by the evil genius hardly leaves a field for thoughts of personal matter.
Third time she knew she had. But it could have happened anyway. After all the years of taking gears for controlling the menstrual cycle it really wouldn't be a surprise. She had been warned it would happen one day. So, she just shrugged and kept on doing her job.

***

Then came headaches and pain in abdomen. She tried to ease them with various painkillers, but they kept going back. The morning sickness was the next symptom and accompanied by peculiar cravings, they made Natasha wonder what the heck was going on with her body. A thought of possible terminal disease crossed her mind, but she quickly disregarded it. Not a chance for that kind of stuff. She'd rather die from the bullet inside her head.

***

The great realization hit her like a bolt from the blue while one of her roams around the city. Seeing a heavily pregnant woman strolling through the park was all her mind needed to collect the information and crush her with the conclusion.

IMPOSSIBLE.

She was stuck in numbness, staring at the woman in front of her.

No, actually it WAS possible. From the technical point of view it was even highly probable and it scared her to death. Her instinct was screaming on her to run, run, run away. Hide. Get help. Get rid of it. The sooner the better.

DAMN!

It can't be happening. It musn't be happening. Why is it happening?!

It wasn't like she hadn't known back then it might happen, but in the adrenaline rush and the heat of the moment none of them really gave it a thought.

" 'xcuse me, is somethin' wron' with ya?" she heard a displeased voice with a strong accent.

She blinked. Once. Twice. OH. The woman was talking to her. What did she say?

The question was probably mirrored in her eyes, because the women seemed to turn more concerned.

"I've just ask' you if everythin' OK. Ya lookin' bit pale" said the woman.

"I'm pregnant"

Why the heck did the say it to this woman?!

"And jus' realizin', huh? Congrats anyway. Hope the daddy cheers" said the woman patting Natasha's shoulder.

"Would'a talk to ya but I've my own business to care 'bout. Good luck!" she smiled and passed by, leaving dumbstruck agent down in the park alley.

***

For quite a long time she wondered how to tell him. Calling him randomly saying "Hi, Steve! Romanoff's speaking. If you've ever wondered why I've been keeping distance for a while, I can tell you it's because my belly's so big I can barely see anything from behind. Hahaha, no, it's not because of a big breakfast. I'm just pregnant. And, by the way, you're the father!"? Well, it didn't seem like a good choice of words.

She considered informing him face-to-face, as it was a customary method, but it wasn't a suitable option for them. It was like negotiating an unpleasant deal. Not her area of expertise, no. She was more straight-forward person and she'd probably tell him the big news the moment she saw him. Not the best timing, though.

Therefore, she'd delayed making the decision until she got an accurate idea. Not a one for now, sadly.

***