Romance

Natasha POV

I was sitting peacefully in the small, abandoned apartment that I was hiding in, hiding because I was unsure about returning to the Avengers, whether it was the right decision for me. The apartment was nothing special, but it was clean and undisturbed. Well...undisturbed until Steve came bursting through the door.

I hadn't seen him in about three weeks, ever since the battle happened. I hated for lying to Steve about what side I was really on, but I had to find out what Stark's play was and stop them both from killing each other. Bucky didn't deserve to be hurt. He was Steve's friend and was brainwashed by HYDRA. I had a similar experience, so, to be honest, I didn't blame him at all for any of his killings

It didn't matter now. The accords had been abolished and everyone was living back at the Avengers Tower. It had gone back to the way it used to be with the exception of me not being there. I needed some time to breathe and think about what had happened. I wasn't helping myself by buying a newspaper everyday, because the Avengers were all that was published. I saw Steve's face in one image, a photo of him and Tony together, hands clapped on each other's shoulders like nothing had changed. Maybe I wasn't that important to him in the first place?

My mind went back to when I met him in the church. I opened the church door and walked towards him, trying not to run up to him and bury him in my arms from the sad expression on his face.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. When I found out she was alive, I was just lucky to have her." he said, sounding the most fragile that I had seen him since Bucky's return in DC. I felt so sorry for Steve. I knew that he loved her in 1945, but I also knew that he had moved on, dating a couple of people over the years, mainly one's that I had set him up with. He always told me that they weren't right for him, which made me wonder what kind of person he was interested in. Would I be his type?

As soon as we were assigned missions together as partners, Clint going home to see his family most of the time, I kept my distance by constantly setting him up with people. I didn't want to be compromised. I liked Steve, perhaps more than I should've, but he would never be interested in a girl like me.

"She had your back too." I replied, smiling at him, but he was too busy looking at the floor, thoughts flowing through his head.

"Who else signed it?" For a moment, I actually forgot about the accords, but then remembered how much he must hate me for agreeing with Stark, not that I actually did. I had to play both sides and I desperately wanted to tell him my plan, but for it to work, no one had to know.

I explained to him about who was signing it, watching him closely to find any signs that he still thought I was his friend. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There is plenty of room on the jet." I told him, hoping that he would come with me. He looked back at the ground, sighing, and every time he did it, he was slipping further and further away from me. I told myself it was a good thing, fooling him into thinking I was on Stark's side, but my mind was begging me to tell him the truth. Steve didn't deserve more lies from me...but I had to lie...to keep him safe. I slowly stepped closer towards him, his blue eyes finally taking notice and locking with mine. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path."

I was lying through my teeth. I had to convince him that I was on Stark's team, so my plan would work if things got too rough. I was itching to comfort him more, to hold him in my arms and make all of his worries disappear. "Staying together is more important that how we stay together."

"What have we given up to do it?" he asked. I desperately wanted to scream in his face that I was on his side, but took a breath and stopped myself. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it." Part of me was relieved, knowing that he was secretly fighting on the good side, but then I knew he would never think of me in the same way again.