Kabanata 15

KABANATA 15.

Let Him Know.

MY MIND was occupied for weeks because of the thought of transferring to another faculty next school year. I’ll be twenty if I started as a freshman again. But that’s not too old, right? Just the right age to make the right decision. These past few weeks I’ve been researching for college courses and ofcourse, part time jobs.

Just in case my father won’t support my education, I still have some money with me. Finding a part time job isn’t a problem to me. I have many acquaintances all over Manila. There are coffee shops that needs waitresses or baristas. There are also twenty-four-hour convenient stores that needs some staff. I can do that.

People may find me maarte because my dad is rich but trust me, I’m not. I think I can do those jobs as long as it’s legal. Also, for the past weeks, I thought of minimizing my party nights because I want to save my allowance just in case my dad cut my cards.

I was too occupied that I’m even lutang when the Paskuhan came. My friends were excited and all but I was occupied by other things. They didn’t complain though. Natapos ang Paskuhan nang hindi man lang ako sumisigaw.

After the Paskuhan, umuwi si Fita sa Batangas to visit her family. Adi also go to Canada to visit her parents. While Spica, she’s nowhere to be found. She didn’t told me anything. She just disappeared. I’m not that worried though, she is Spica and she can handle herself.

And me, I don’t have any plans for Christmas. Last year, Angeline invited me on the Christmas Eve. I came but it was awkward as hell so I left after eating. This year, I don’t want to go there. Maybe I’ll just spend Christmas on the church and think things over.

At iyon nga ang nangyari. Christmas Day, everyone’s happily giving gifts to each other. I attended the mass in the morning and decided to go to the mall to have lunch. It’s amazing that even in the Christmas Day, the staffs are still working.

Nang mapadaan ako sa shop na puno ng mga laruang pambata ay wala sa sariling pumasok ako. I just remembered those kids on the orphanage. I always receive a gift from my mom when I was a kid. And my friends also gave me gifts now that mom is on another country. Naglibot ako sa buong shop at kumuha ng mga laruan na sa tingin ko ay magugustuhan ng mga bata.

After buying toys, exactly three baskets, I went to my car and put it in the back seat, after that, I returned inside the mall to buy coloring and educational books, still for the kids. After making sure that I bought everything, I drove to the orphanage.

It wasn’t a long drive, I arrived at the orphanage in no time. The atmosphere screams Christmas. Agad kong kinaha ang tatlong basket na mga laruan at isang basket nang mga libro at school supplies. It was kinda heavy but I managed to bring it to the orphanage’ doorstep. I knocked three times before I heard several footsteps nearing the door.

When the door opened, I was greeted by the kids’ bright faces. And as expected, they rushed to hug me. I hugged them one by one. The children’s giggles and screams warm my heart. I was about to hug them again when someone cleared their throat.

When I looked up, I saw Vale smiling at us. I smiled back at him.

“Merry Christmas, chéri.”

VALE HELPED me carry the gifts for the kids. Turns out, they were also having a Christmas party so they invited me to join them until dinner. The staffs are complete too. There were nuns, including Sister Clare, I also met the priests. The whole church people were so happy because of my gifts.

After the gift giving, we all enjoyed our lunch. Maraming putahe ang nakahain sa mahabang dining table ng ampunan. When I asked who cooked it, I was surprised that Vale cooked majority of the dishes and the staffs helped him.