Chapter 4

Elena's POV
As soon as Stefan told me what had happened, it seemed like I was in a nightmare and I couldn't wake myself up. When he finished talking he stared at me with his big sad eyes and waited for me to reply, I couldn't answer, no words seemed to come out of my mouth. I vamp-ran past him and downstairs to my kitchen, no one followed me so I figured Stefan had found Elijah. But I didn't care, I wanted to be alone. I looked at a picture I had of me and Damon and held it to my chest, I couldn't believe he was gone. I felt tears roll down my cheeks as I put down the picture, I waked back into the kitchen and threw plates and cupboard doors all over the place. I didn't know what I was doing but I knew I couldn't stop, I was screaming and crying uncontrollably. As soon as I trashed up my whole kitchen, I fell to floor on my knees and cried even more.
It was all my fault, I'm the reason he's dead.

Stefan's POV
I could hear Elena crying and breaking everything that was in her way, but when I tried to go downstairs to comfort her, Elijah came out her bathroom and stopped me. He shook his head and insisted she had time on her own for a while, he also did the same when Alaric and Jeremy ran out of their rooms.
"She's breaking down, Elijah!" Shouted Jeremy when he didn't let him go.
"She needs time alone, just give her a couple of minutes till she calms down," answered Elijah calmly.
Jeremy sighed angrily even though he knew it was for the best. Though, one question kept popping into my mind - why was Elijah here in the first place? I knew I couldn't bring it up in front of Jeremy and Alaric, they wouldn't believe it anyway.
After a while Elena calmed down and stopped crying, we slowly crept down the stairs and walked into the kitchen. She was sitting her back against one of the cupboards staring off into the distant, her eyes were redder than mine. None of us knew what to do, we all just stood there staring at her. So I walked up to her and slouched down next to her, she didn't notice I was there until I put my hand on her hand, she shot a look at me and moved her hand away. But when she realised it was me, she relaxed a little and rested her head on my shoulder.
"Its my fault, it's all my fault," whispered Elena.
Elijah's face tensed up.
"It's not your fault, Elena. He was drunk and you know how what he's like when he's on the urge of spiralling after having a lot to drink," I replied.
"But it's my fault why he spiralled,"
Elena started to cry again, I didn't know what to do, so I just put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer.

Elijah's POV
I couldn't stand the thought of Elena blaming herself for the death of Damon Salvatore. But when Stefan Salvatore put his arm around her, I could feel my blood inside me start to boil. I knew he was being a supportive friend, but I couldn't help thinking that maybe he wanted to more than friends again.
She sat there looking so helpless and lost, I wanted to help but I didn't know how, so I walked up to where she was sitting and knelt down in front of her.
"Elijah?" She asked.
"Yes. Would you care to take a walk with me?" I asked.
She nodded and I helped her up, ignoring Stefan's death snare. I held out my arm for her to take it, which she did, and we walked arm in arm outside. She suggested that we walked to the nearest bar.
"Elena, it's not your fault," I said after moments of silence.
"It is, Elijah. If I had kept my mouth shut about who I had feelings for, for a little while longer then maybe he wouldn't of - wouldn't of.." She trailed off, not knowing how to finish the rest of her sentence.
"He deserved the truth. If you hadn't of told him straight away, like you did, then it would of resulted in him thinking you were just leading him on, like Katerina did,"
"But look where the truth got him?"
Elena stopped walking and let out a sigh as well as another tear. I picked up her head and wiped away her tear, I didn't remove my finger from her chin until I knew she wouldn't of looked away from my gaze.
"Listen, it's not your fault," I said softly.
"Don't try and compel me please, Elijah," she answered.
"I wasn't trying to, Elena. I just want you to know that it wasn't and isn't your fault,"
She smiled a smile I have been waiting to see since Stefan arrived.

Stefan's POV
I waited with Jeremy and Alaric until Elena came home, they returned a couple of hours after they went out for a walk.
Alaric jumped up to Elena and asked where she had been when she came back, which honestly I thought was a bit stupid considering that she was safe with Elijah. Instead of answering the question, she looked at Elijah to explain and walked up the stairs to her bedroom.
"We walked around for a while and then we stopped at the Mystic Grill," answered Elijah.
"Was she okay?" Asked Alaric.
"Not at all, but she smiled once," he replied.
Alaric nodded and turned to me and asked if I was going to be okay, but before I could reply, Jeremy insisted that I stayed there with them for a while.
"No it's okay," I replied.
"Look man, I know you're going to have a hard time, so you and Elena could be there for each other,"
Elijah's tensed at what Jeremy said.
"Jeremy, me and Elena aren't together anymore,"
"Oh, sorry, but I still think it would be a good idea? You could take the couch?"
I looked to Alaric and then Elijah both nodding in approval. I agreed and then decided I would go get a bag for later.
When I got back home I went into Damon's room, his burnt corpse was still there, underneath the window. I picked up his daylight ring from the table and put it in my pocket.