- - 13 - -

"Where to then, boss?" I asked Amir, smiling.

"I believe you need to be initiated into a squad. I'll take you back to the briefing room and they should be there along with Rachel."

My heart did a little flutter at her name and the prospect of seeing her again but my brain reminded me of last night. She blew me off after the most amazing kiss of my life. Was trying again an option? Was it not an option?

"Verity? Verity?"

I looked up to see a concerned expression crossing Amir's face.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I replied, "let's do this."

I smiled confidently at him and attempted to push Rachel to the back of my mind.

Then I set off I the direction of the briefing room.

"You are getting to know the place," Amir observed as we walked.

I nodded, still a little preoccupied.

"The compound seems a lot smaller on the second day," he said with a hint of knowing.

I was astonished to realise that this was true; the cafeteria was only actually straight down the left tunnel along with storage and the dorms were over to my right with offices branching off over there. Wow, I was adapting really fast.

At the corner before the briefing room, I saw a flash of black, glossy hair flick in front of me. The scar was familiar but the expression was not. There was physical pain in her eyes but something else too... Definitely guilt. I didn't get it, well I mean, I did. She should have felt guilty due to her actions last night but why did she stop? Why did she feel guilty because she stopped? And if you feel guilty for stopping something then why stop it in the first place?

She was also walking weirdly too, almost limping. Obviously, it was an act. I couldn't believe that she would be seeking sympathy from me?! What did she want? She hurt me and now she thought a limp was going to solve all her problems?

No, I shouldn't be doing this. I refused to let a girl get in my head this much. I could worry about that later if I really had to. My biggest priority at the minute was initiation. Wasn't it?

"Are you sure you're okay?" Amir asked. I sensed his concern was growing to an uncontrollable level.

"You really shouldn't be worrying about me this much," I reassure him.

Apparently, it just made things worse.

"Verity, I get that I seem to be hovering and normally I wouldn't crowd you this much but things need to go smoothly here. If you are a risk... the rebellion... you get it don't you?"

"What are you saying, Amir?" I pushed. I felt my face getting hotter but this time it most certainly wasn't embarrassment.

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm not saying you are a risk; I just seem to have a bad track record with the people I trust."

"You mean Elyse?" I sniggered.

"No," he replied defensively, "but... I guess I deserved that. Tensions are just running high at the moment, you know?"

Suddenly, the doors began to creak and started opening. Time for initiation.

"Are we okay then?" Amir pleaded.

I nodded and faced the absence of the huge, metal blast doors leading to the briefing room. Without hesitation, I headed towards my fate.

The doors opened and my eyes tried to adjust to the light. I guess you got used to the gloom of the tunnels pretty quickly too. My eyes darted round the amphitheatre in search of Rachel just in case but to my disappointment she wasn't there. I guess we weren't an option then....