- - 35 - -

As the next day or two went by, I finally felt like I understood Lucas. I completed some more tests from him but they weren't that demanding. Mostly, I was asked more questions about my past by Lucas and generally I lied to make the answer appropriate for the government. Lucas showed no indication of whether he knew I was telling the truth or lying but he ended each session with a smile and I didn't see the White Room again.

Instead, I was taken to an isolated room with normal walls and floors and the ability to hear. Bliss. The bed was quite uncomfortable but I held out the hope that soon I could leave the facility and find a nicer place. Lucas had said that I needed to choose sides  and at first I was unsure. The winning side was of course the government but the rebels were my friends once upon a time, perhaps even my family.

I decided to not put too much pressure on myself, after all, Lucas said that the final test would show my true opinions. Apparently, there would be no way to lie so I thought I would just go with my gut and see what happened. The final day loomed over me and its two outcomes: I would pass and leave the facility forever or I would fail and live out the rest of my pitiful life here.

I needed to get out of here. I needed to go someplace where I could breathe. Quickly, I rushed out of my room and through the finally unlocked door (it had taken a lot of persuasion on my part for Lucas to allow me to freely roam the compound but eventually he agreed - where could I go?).

Turning out onto the hallway, I ignored my normal route where I would turn left and went right instead. I needed to see something new, I needed to distract myself.

Another fork in the roads, left or right? Left. Left or right or straight? Right. Left or straight? Straight.

Every corridor looked exactly like the last, the same white walls and glaring lights with tiled floors. Eventually though, I came across something new: a staircase. Without hesitating, I rushed up the first two flights of stairs and did the remaining three a little more slowly.

Finally, I came to a single door at the top.

Half expecting it to be locked, I pushed on it but to my surprise it was open. I stumbled out and immediately felt the soothing warmth on my skin. A light breeze blew on me too and I realised with a shock that I was outside! I hadn't been outside for several weeks at least and it felt glorious. Helios' rays showered me with their golden light and the sky was a canvas, painted with beautiful colours. The roof I was on overlooked Atlantis in the distance and the towering skyscrapers. The facility was built on a cliff with the view behind me blocked by a concrete wall. A camera watched me from the wall and I waited for somebody to retrieve me, but they didn't and I was left in peace.

The drop in front of me was too steep to jump and I knew there was no escape from here. I didn't mind; I would get my choice soon and that would resolve itself. Instead, I made the most of this perfect moment as I bathed in Helios on the roof and relaxed in the calm.

I stayed there for as long as I could before I was called back in by a scientist and reluctantly I left. Now I had to be alert, it was game time and this was a battle I couldn't afford to lose.

***

"Are you ready?" Lucas looked at me with expectant eyes and I nodded weakly. I felt sick to my stomach and hoped to Terra that this final test wasn't physically demanding.

Lucas didn't communicate anything as we left my tiny bedroom and headed over to the testing area, wherever that was. I was glad for the lack of talking; I needed to prepare myself.

We walked down lots of twisting corridors until we finally came to a dead end. A lone door lay on the wall, unused and without hesitation Lucas strode in. Following him in, I gasped.

The room was painted blue with concrete flooring and a single target across the wall. Close to the entrance, a table sat with an old fashioned pistol waiting on top.

"Do you know how to use this?" Lucas questioned.

I was pretty sure I did after Elyse had showed me but I needed to buy more time and shook my head in answer.

Lucas picked up the gun and showed it to me. "The safety is already off and the gun is loaded too; you'll only need one bullet so you won't have to load it again either. When you're ready, stand with your feet planted apart and aim the gun." He did so and aimed the handgun at the target. "Then, use this slide to advance the bullet into the first chamber and lock it in position here. Look through the sights and pull the trigger."

Bang! The bullet shot out with a deafening crack and landed right in the centre of the target. I gulped. He wanted me to do that? Why?

Lucas handed me the gun and I copied his movements, aiming the gun at the target.

"Wait!" He cried.

I stopped and lowered the gun.

"That's not your target."

"What is then?" I asked.

The gun remained lowered as Lucas stood in front of the target... as a scientist dragged Elyse in and placed her next to Lucas.

"Choose," he commanded.

I was wrong. The test was about loyalty but not between the rebels and the government, but between the government and friends. Family and friends. Lucas was my brother but Elyse had been most like a sister to me. I couldn't betray her, but at the same time she wasn't there to be betrayed. Her eyes were dull as if drugged and I realised I had never asked.

"Why is she like that Lucas? Why is she gone?"

"We didn't drug her if that's what you are asking."

"Then why is she like this?" I was suddenly angry but Lucas kept his cool.

"She lost Amir, in the NukeFusions blast."

"Why was he there?" I retorted though I already knew the answer.

"We needed an engineer to set them up but they couldn't escape in time. He was a sacrifice for the greater good."

At this Elyse looked up, but her eyes were filled with an incredibly deep pain. In that moment I resented Lucas more than anyone I had ever hated before.

I had made my choice.

Slowly, I raised the gun again and aimed it at my new target. Trying not to think of the negative consequences, I flicked off the safety. Then I planted my feet and slid the bullet into the chamber. I locked it into place.

I inhaled.

And then I pulled the trigger.