- - 22 - -

Today was the day. The day that we broke down the walls of the government - literally and emotionally - and took back what was ours: Terra.

We rose at five am. We got dressed at five fifteen. We ate breakfast at half five and brushed our teeth at quarter to six. Our movements were mechanical and robotic, everyone was in sync in their individual rooms. Our energy floated through the air, buzzing like electricity as we prepared ourselves for the monstrous, forthcoming battle. This was the start of the rebellion. I was so ready.

It was uncanny how we all left our bedrooms at the same time and I realised with a sudden sadness that it was the last time I was probably ever going to sleep in it. It was the last time that I was probably ever going to see the compound for that matter. I walked over to the wall and felt the coloured concrete mixed with the musty, wet smell of the earth that surrounded us. When I had first arrived, I felt claustrophobic but then it came to comfort me. Even amongst all the chaos, this was the first place that had ever truly felt like home; I was going to miss it. But then my I remembered the facility just a tunnel away and shuddered again. Some parts I was most certainly not going to miss. I murmured a silent goodbye to my room and set off towards the briefing room.

I was one of the first few to arrive - which was a first - so I just sat and enjoyed the peaceful but lively air. Lucas stood on the stage and flashed me an encouraging smile while he talked to Juan (his new commander) and Alex. On the other side of the amphitheatre, a group of boys sat chatting, playing with each other's hair and painting on battle makeup. Some nearby girls watched them and sniggered but I could see them longing for the chance to partake in the activity. Instead they were hyping each other up while stretching and warming their muscles. I recognised them to be part of the demolition crew for the facilities. They would be among the first ones to fight.

Nausea hit my stomach like a stone and I suddenly felt intensely sick. Quickly, I rushed to the bathroom and threw up all in the sink. As I finished, I washed my mouth out with tap water and glanced in the mirror. It showed a bedraggled and dishevelled version of the warrior I once knew. Consciously, the source of fear was unknown but deep down, I knew I feared a fight. A fight meant casualties and causalities included the people I loved: Amir, Elyse, Rachel. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if they got hurt. What if we didn't win? What if we only exacerbated the conditions in Zyphia? What if we were put back in a facility?

Screams echoed from around the bathroom and I vaguely noticed I was sobbing. Through my blurry tears, I didn't see as someone came in and started rubbing my shoulders. They made settling shushing noises in my ears and I eventually came back to reality.

"Elyse?" I asked.

"No," they replied.

I spun around, recognising the voice instantly and in a flash I was kissing her. This time, Rachel didn't push away but only kissed me harder and harder as we moved and swayed together. These kisses were rushed and forbidden, hard and aggressive as my lips were attacked by a paradise like no other. My spine was on fire with electricity and blood coursed through my veins with a newfound energy. My heart was racing as we were interrupted by a knock at the door. I ignored it and continued kissing every inch of Rachel's neck, exploring new places with amazement and curiosity. I had never felt more in love.

Rachel stopped and looked me dead in the eyes, today her eyes were of a dark-blue hue, like Selene would be later when it eclipsed Helios. I feared the worst at her second halting of our kisses.

"I love you, Verity Walker," she said, her eyes fierce.

"I love you too."

"Great now that you've had your moment, the briefing room is waiting for you two lovebirds." Elyse barged in and physically had to come between us to stop us. I giggled but reluctantly followed Elyse out of the bathroom and back to the amphitheatre. There would be time later to resume and I was just as excited for that as the rebellion.

Yet there was an unexplained sadness in Rachel's eyes, far too deep to have been caused by Elyse's unfortunate interruption. I made a step towards her to get her to talk to me but Elyse prevented it and steered me away from Rachel as she disappeared into the crowd. I sat down, deflated, but my energy was easily regained from the enormous quantity in the atmosphere.

Gradually, the crowd started up a chant: "rebellion, rebellion, rebellion." Each word got louder and higher-pitched until we were at a climax and Lucas began talking.

"Today is the day! The day that we achieve our goals and start... a revolution!" Everyone went wild, banging their hands on knees and feet on the floor, shouting, cheering and yelling - any noise you could have thought of, they made it. "I will assume that everyone remembers our eventful plan but I will run through it once more."

The plan was told once again on a magnificent visual display on the HoloPad. As presumed, everyone knew what Lucas was going to say and do but we all listened intently and focused; this part was crucial for our victory.

The run through was finished with more noise from the tumultuous Resistance but it was an amazing experience. The crowd settled down again to hear Lucas finish the meeting. Then end was drawing near and soon our plan would be put into action.

"Unfortunately, I was correct in predicting that the resistances from Skyfall and Aurora wouldn't be here in time but they will fight with us soon. Onwards to victory! Now everyone go get your required gear and move out to your positions, although for the love of Terra, please be discreet. I don't need this rebellion being put down before it has even started." He laughed.

Everyone left, still chanting and shouting while I looked from the back for a certain person. I couldn't go and fight before we had the chance to talk. I saw Elyse and Amir kissing on a door frame and the rest were heading towards the weaponry rooms. Lucas had exited through a stage door and I remembered that he still had something to talk me about. Something he was hiding but that was for later. Chaotically, my frantic eyes scoured everywhere for her...

But Rachel had slipped away.