- - 52 - -

I paused for a moment to allow my announcement to sink in but I had to resume quickly. The screen in front of me displayed my own broadcast but the images were glitching and blacking out as Lucas fought to regain control.

"I recently found blueprints displaying an even larger weapon that will literally wipe out a city in one go. But we have decided to take a stand! Many of you have heard of us rising but the names were anonymous. I assure you, we are real. We have names and we are standing here today to take back Terra! But we need your help. Without you, there is no chance of a rebellion. So I beg of you to assist us and do whatever it takes to secure our freedom. For you and the future generations to come. I beg you. The bombs are located in Jiona. That is our main target. Everyone in Jiona we need you. We also have rebels situated in Farrian and Dox. If you live in any of these cities, go outside and meet in the centre. We will give you supplies and tasks. We need you all.

"Those of you not in any of these cities. We need you to wait for us. But don't forget the anger you possess now, don't forget what Lucas is willing to do. He is going to destroy every city and build them again in his image. Not unless we stop him. We are people and we deserve freedom! So wait and we will come.

"But there is one more thing, in Atlantis, we have no rebels located so it is down to you. On the cliffs there is a facility with imprisoned rebels. I have to ask you to free them! Then leave Atlantis immediately and go to either Farrian, Dox or Jiona. No man left behind!"

The broadcast was nearly over but it felt unfinished. There needed to be something else. To the side of me, Alessa was hissing for me to take back what I said about Atlantis but I meant it. If she double crossed me then I would only do the same to her.

"I know you believe in us! I have seen the signs around Jiona: a small stolen glance or large mural for the rebellion. It inspires hope and we need everything we can get right now. The rebellion is happening. Farrian, Dox, Jiona, Atlantis. Anyone else we ask you to wait but for those included you must fight. Fight for everything you have ever wanted and take it in your hands. We are not Refracted!"

I looked at the screen and saw that I was really breaking up now.

"There's only one thing left to ask: will you join the rebellion?"

The screen went black and the broadcast ended. Everything felt anticlimactic. The camp was silent with the remaking few and Jiona remained dormant in front of us. I sensed Alessa's fury but ignored her penetrating glare. What's done was done and I didn't regret anything.

"What now then?" I asked Rachel.

"We fight."

I thought of the bombs lurking in the warehouses just a few miles away from where we stood now. There was no knowing how many there were. The blueprints were clear indicators of Lucas' insanity but I could t believe that these inventions were real.

Had we learnt nothing?

Earth had been decimated for the exact same reasons and Terra was our last chance. Those bombs would end it all; Lucas didn't get it. There was no controlling such evil, even those who created it.

The camp stirred into life as people readied for the fight. Those who had weapons and amour clambered into SUVs where they waited at the edge of the camp. Jiona remained as silent as ever and I had to hope that soon that would change.

Alessa passed me but her anger was gone and replaced with regret.

"What have you done?!"

Then she disappeared to get her own supplies and I cast her out of my mind.

An automatic machine gun was tossed into my hands as someone else pulled a bullet proof vest over my head. I caught their wrist and pulled Harleen round so that she was facing me.

"Thank you," I said. It wasn't enough.

But she nodded anyway as her eyes brimmed with tears. No one could predict was would happen in the next few days... or even if we would see each other again. I glanced over at Rachel who was helping people into the military trucks and despair flooded through me. My confidence and anger kind of faded as I watched the two people I loved the most. Rachel clambered into her own truck and was lost from my sight as Harleen ran over to join her. I was left alone amongst the chaos.

"Verity, come on!"

Malik yelled at me to get in another SUV and I obeyed. With everyone accounted for, all the engines revved simultaneously and we began moving across the desert sands. Helios' light guided us towards Jiona in the perfect light, a sign that it was on our side.

With every bump, I was forced into the two people squished in either side of me yet I vaguely noticed as I searched the desert for Harleen's and Rachel's truck. I couldn't locate them exactly but it was comforting to know they were close although the second we got out, we would be forced to split up.

In my head, I went over the route I would take to get to the warehouse. With Sofia leading us, we would be responsible for finding a vantage point and taking out as many of the VISORs as possible that guarded the warehouses. Lucas would lose access to the bombs which would remove any imminent danger and we could conquer the cities properly. The weight of the gun rested in my lap as I imagined the buzzing of the electrical bullets that were a one shot kill for the VISORs. It was Elyse who had taught me that.

Not now, Verity.

We grew closer to Jiona and each truck began to veer off on separate paths to individual destinations. We continued straight onwards towards the middle of the city. The warehouses were located not far from there.

Closer... closer... closer...

Wait, was that?

It started as a hum but grew louder as we got clear until the cheers of everyone were so distinct that I felt myself smiling with hope. They had come. They would fight. They would join the rebellion.

Each and every one of them had made a sacrifice for the greater good, a cause we were all raised to disbelieve in. Yet we had still overcome the odds.

We were not Refracted.