- - 24 - -

Lucas turned to face us on the hill and gave us a smug wave. Immediately, four VISORs turned to our direction and started approaching us.

"Okay, now we really need to go," Elyse shouted over the familiar mechanical whirring noise.

We nodded and started sprinting as fast as our legs would take us. Our initial instinct was to head back to the compound but it was obviously compromised. At this point, we were just running away from inevitable danger.

"Head towards the facilities!" I yelled, breathless. "We can still fight and save as many people as possible!"

Elyse held her hand up and we stopped, ducking round into an alleyway in the process. It was ironic that this was the same alleyway I had ran into when I was forced to leave the Resistance, now I was running away from the Resistance.

"It's too late, Verity. Do you really think that Lucas will have let the NukeFusions leave the Zyphia Chambers?"

She was right, as if he was about to let the most powerful weapons on Terra fall into the hands of some rebels.

"So what do we do then?" Sam asked.

Elyse shook her head; no one had an answer for this one.

"We could meet the Skyfall and Aurora Resistance," a husky voice replied.

We all looked at Jackson, astounded.

"I overheard Lucas telling them that they should meet us over by the facilities. I
At first, I thought it was weird since they would be blown up but I guess now it makes sense if they aren't getting destroyed. He would literally be delivering rebels to their doorstep. We could meet them before they got too close and together we might be able to save a few?"

"It's worth a shot," Elyse said. "Our best chance is the facility by the construction zone, where we can escape onto the Plains if necessary."

Deep down, I knew she was right but I couldn't go back there. I couldn't risk getting caught and having to face that absolute nightmare again. My knees suddenly felt leaden and I felt the blood leave my face as it turned ashen.

"Come on, Verity. We'll do it together."

I looked at Elyse and her desperate eyes, though she was endeavouring so hard not to show it, I could see her immense concern for Amir. I had to do it for her.

"Okay then, let's do it."

Elyse nodded and we set off running again, this time with a destination. Far off behind us I could still hear the whirring of the VISORs but it sounded like they had lost us. At least something had gone our way today.

We reached the facility quite quickly as there was no traffic nor security. Everything was still at the Solar Elections, after all, Lucas still had the ceremony to go through.

"Lucas said that the meeting point was round the back," Jackson added.

As we ran round the familiar concrete building, all the memories threatened to break free inside my skull. My time in solitary was especially present as we passed under the barred windows. The only person that didn't seem to be affected was Jackson; he must have been one of the fortunate ones who had never been put in a facility, or at least not for very long anyway.

We reached the back of the facility but it didn't seem that anyone was coming. Instead, the back entrance doors had been prised open and were nearly hanging off their metal hinges.

I looked at Elyse, and she confirmed what I already knew, we had to go inside. Too much was happening and I couldn't keep up with it. I tried to organise my thoughts as we walked forward to distract the panic.