✩ Stop Running ✩

Chapter 8 ~ "Stop Running"

EDITED.

✩ ✩ ✩

Akira's POV

Do you understand that feeling?

That burning feeling you get right at the centre of your chest, as if your heart has be scorched on an open fire and then left to brittle onto the ground. I feeling that right now. 

Even though Kabir had walked away ten minutes ago, my body remained paralyzed, leaning against the railing as my only support. He was right, though. Everything he said was absolutely true, and it affected me even more. A few treacherous tears had escaped, but I swiftly wipes them away and exhaled a long breath. 

Here was another memory that would haunt in the future to come. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Someone questioned, startling me. Slowly I turned towards Adhaya, who wore a look of concern.

"Just peachy," I muttered, already knowing everyone had seen our siblings dispute unfold. 

Adhaya was quiet for a few minutes, opening and closing her mouth trying to figure out what to say, before she finally settled on, "let's head home, okay?"

I nodded in return, thankful that she didn't push me to talk about it. But now, it felt like I needed all those pushes to get rid of the taste of regret on my tongue.

As we made our way back to the cars, I noticed Meera's car gone, and the two sisters as well. Kabir's car was almost full, leaving only two spots available, and I certainly didn't want to sit in there. 

"There's still a seat in here," Adhaya turned to me.

I sighed, "we both need a little space right now."

She nodded, "well as much as you won't like it, I asked Ayan to drop you home too—if you prefer that."

"And he agreed?" I asked incredulously.

"It took a bit of convincing, but finally he caved in."

"Yeah, not happening. I'll take the bus," I scoffed.

Kabir's silent voice shuddered through the car, "You get in this car. Or Ayan's." 

"But—"

"That's final."

I bit my lip to swallow the protest. One glance around the car, and I was met with sympathetic looks from Abhi and Vivan. I couldn't handle that. And as much as I hated that asshole, at least he wouldn't look at me with pity, far from it.

Releasing a dejected sigh, "I'll see you at home."

Nearing the car, I saw Dhruv closing the trunk, giving me a wave of relief. At least he would be in the car too. "Hey Akira, are you okay?" Dhruv asked in concern, with his brows furrowed in a cute way. I nodded with an exasperated smile.

Gratefully, he didn't ask anymore. But then he reached into the front seat to pick up his briefcase. I turned to look at him in confusion and horror.

"Dhruv, where are you going?"

"Work. I still have to prepare for a presentation tomorrow," he shot me a tired smile.

"Oh," I nodded in understanding before a thought struck me, "how are you getting there?"

"I have a colleague that lives nearby. He'll be here in a bit." 

"Ah, okay. Well I'll see you soon and don't over work yourself." I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around him. He returned the hug, chuckling lightly.