• 08 •

* flashback *

I woke up with my parents fighting again, screams and cries easily extinguished the beautiful day offered by summer. I took my pikachu stuffed toy, the only thing that can make me feel safe, and tiptoed my way to the stairs to take a peek.

I felt weak when I saw my brother whimpering in between mom and dad as he tried his best to stop them from hurting each other.

I can no longer take what's happening so I ran outside to the playground without them noticing me.

I went straight to the swing and cried my heart out, not caring how the other children were looking at me like I'm a crazy person. Till one boy stood in front of me, staring at me intently, giving me chills.

"Can you shut your mouth and stop crying?"

I bit my lower lip, trying to control myself from shouting at him and making him regret what he just said. Instead, I cried even louder.

I heard him sigh and the next thing I knew, he was reaching out a handkerchief and shoving it in front of my face.

"Cover your face with this if you'll continue crying. No one wants to see your ugly face."

What's wrong with him?

I took it from his hand and threw it on the side as I angrily look at him. He shifted his gaze on the handkerchief that is now swimming on the wet mud and smiled.

His smile. For a second, I felt my heart beating so hard inside my chest.

"You better stop crying if you don't want me to shove that dirty handkerchief on your dumpling face."

He laughed and sat by the swing next to me.

I can only stare at him as I placed my hand in front of my chest, completely forgetting the reason why I came here in the first place.

I'm not sure what got into me but I ended up sharing my problems with him. Fortunately, he did not tease me and he only stayed quiet as he listened to me.

After a while, he hastily stood up and bid goodbye.

"Will I see you again?" I asked pleadingly, not wanting to see him go.

"Stop pouting, it's not cute. But yes, you'll see me again."

I wasn't able to control my happiness so I jumped at him and gave him a hug. He chuckled as he gave me a pat on my back in response.

"What's your name?"

"Taehyung."

"Hm. I'll call you Taetae then. And my name is Jennie. Kim Jennie."

"I didn't ask."

I stomped my foot and he laughed.

"I'll see you tomorrow, princess?"

I blushed. I nodded in reply with a wide smile plastered on my lips.

Once he started walking away from me, I unconsciously placed my hand at my left chest trying to calm my thumping heart. I can't help but smile at his retreating body as I can still smell his scent, sending tingles all over my body.