𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

you still dragged ushijima around the aquarium and gazed at all the fish in amusement, but he seemed much more at ease now, and anytime he felt that you were giving more attention to the fish than to him, he'd hold your hand a little tighter and you'd give him a peck on the cheek.

you passed through a glass tunnel, and the water was all around you. it was almost closing time and no one else was around, so you could enjoy this moment to the fullest. "wakatoshi, i think i saw a mermaid!"

"that's just a manatee."

"is that, like, a male mermaid?"

"i think you mean merman. and no, it's not. it's a fish." he sighed. "how did you become a doctor?"

"i ask myself the same thing every day, but i didn't just become a doctor, i got to be your girlfriend too. i still don't understand how that happened. i mean, i was a train wreck."

"a train wreck i wanted to protect. i still do." he assured you.

"you keep agreeing with me when i insult myself and i can't even get mad at you for it because i said it first." you whined. "and because it's true."

"stop insulting yourself and i can't agree to those statements anymore." he pointed out matter of factly.

"easier said than done, insulting myself has become a personality trait." you grumbled.

soon, the you reached the end of the aquarium and exited through the back door. ushijima started the car to drive you back home and you climbed into the passenger seat.

when he pulled up outside your dorms, you got out of the car but still lingered at the door for a moment.
"i had a lot of fun today." you smiled.

"you got kidnapped." he reminded.

"...it was a memorable experience."

he cracked a grin. "i had fun too."

"good night then wakatoshi."

"you too (f/n)." he nodded and reversed his car as you made your way to the entrance of your dorms.

your phone rang in between so you stopped fumbling around for your keys, and answered the call instead. "hello, who's speaking?"

"ms. (l/n)?"

"yes, that's me." you replied.

"this is miyagi police station."

"oh, is something the matter?"

"i'm afraid we have some bad news."

the next words were enough to make your heart sink.

"he broke out of prison a few hours ago."

~•~

you didn't require a name to know who the cops were talking about. there was only one person they'd ever call you to inform you about anyway.

the panic settled and you stumbled, losing your balance although you weren't even walking. you heard your name being called out, but you could barely remember how to breathe.

you leaned against the wall for support and clutched at your chest, attempting to calm your ragged breathing. your head was spinning and you couldn't think straight. whenever you closed your eyes, all you saw was your father's face, his maniacal grin and his eerie voice from back when he used to break into your house or scare tendo.

you felt a pair of arms spin you around to face them, and you immediately pushed them away with a horrified look before you realised it was ushijima.

you burst into tears, your emotions ab absolute mess at the moment. ushijima reached out again, much more slowly this time, careful not to scare you, and you let yourself be held by him.

ushijima stayed there, unaware as to why you suddenly got a panic attack, but he waited quietly until your tears came to a stop and your breathing evened out a little. your body which was trembling until just moments ago, stopped shaking so uncontrollably and ushijima stepped back a little, but held both your shoulders to make sure you wouldn't collapse.

"what happened?" he asked softly.

"he's free." you managed to say. "my father is free."

ushijima was still for a while before he pulled you back against him. "you're going to be okay." he whispered soothingly. "i'm going to protect you."

"wakatoshi, you shouldn't get involved with me, last time you ended up in hospital and—"

"(f/n). i know i failed to protect you and tendo in the past. but i'm different now. i'm stronger. i'm braver. let me do it right this time." he pleaded.

"you're not the one who failed to protect me. i'm the one who failed to protect you," you argued, "and i can't let my father hurt you twice."

"(f/n)." ushijima said quietly, "correct me if i'm wrong, but you became a doctor in order to save people, right?"

you nodded, wondering where he was going with this.

"i became a cop in order to protect people. so save me if i need saving. but please, let me do my job right and protect you." he stated.

you reluctantly mumbled an 'okay' while you hugged him back, feeling secure in his presence.

"...hey, wakatoshi?"

"yes?"

"could you stay over at my place? i don't think i can be alone tonight."

he pressed a quick kiss to the top of your head and rubbed your back. "of course. if i'm going to protect you, i'm going to do it right."

"i don't deserve you." you said quietly.

"no, (f/n). what you don't deserve is having a father like that. you deserve everything that makes you happy." ushijima insisted.

"including you?" you piped up.

"including me."

~•~

yuhhhh Okok i said i'd try spam update 3 chapters but i can only manage two fkdjjdjd i'm sorry,, i'll write again soon though ❤️

here's y'alls angst content returning
thank me later xoxo
( bahahha pls don't kill me for this lmaooo )

and btw!! i complain about my sleep in like every author's note ever but i swear i do get enough sleep and i do look after myself i just like to complain about everything, it brings me joy, so please don't worry !!

i hope you're all taking care of yourselves, mwahs! <33