Chapter 25- Prelims Mini Arc

"This team is full of a bunch of snakes," Akari grumbles angrily as Nohebi got away with a ball that clearly was in bounds but went 'out.'

"Oi Akari keep your voice down! We don't want them to hear that," Hina scolds the vice captain looking back and forth between her and the smirking Nohebi player.

The score was 24-22 with them in the lead in the first set.

"Aim for the girl with the black hair. She's pretty weak with receives," The smirking girl yells to her teammates as she stares down Akari.

The third years eyes widen as her face turns into a scowl. "Oi! You want to go bitc—"

"Akari!" I stop her words eyeing her intently. "Don't let them get to you. It's apart of their plan."

She looks at me then back at the Nohebi player before letting out a small huff grumbling words under her breath.

The ref blows the whistle to which she serves the ball to our side going directly to Akari.

The words seemed to have gotten to Akari as she receives the ball weaker then usually letting out a tsk as she watches the ball go a bit too far from Hina.

"Gomen Hina!"

"It's alright!" She yells back as she runs for the ball trying her best to set it.

I take as my cue and jog in the direction she tosses the ball and swing my arms up as I prepare to spike the ball.

As if the Nohebi players already knew they were all matched up with me giving me limited options of where to spike it to.

Hesitating last second I try for a cross shot only to get rejected as it hit back on our side.

Sakura dives for the ball but misses by a split second signaling the win for the first set for Nohebi.

Coming to the ground I let out a deep sigh as I watched our opponents squeal in joy.

Staring at the girls as they huddled up in a circle I could almost see the white and gold accented jerseys in my view.

I let out a small gasp as the Fukurōdani jerseys take my sight.

"Just like at Nekoma huh," A voice speaks and I look directly my way to see Nohebi's ace looking at me with a grin on her face.

"Don't want to screw up for your team just like you did last year. Dad won't be proud of that will he," She gives me a small smile as if she accomplished something before turning back to her teammates.

I just cost us a set because I couldn't hit over their block.

Is this really happening again? Am I going to let my teammates down again and get them to hate me?

My body forces itself to turn around to see my teammates reactions as they heard the aces words but am only met with a bunch of smiles. Even Ito gave me a somewhat reassuring look.

Still feeling disappointed in myself for missing the hit I couldn't help but frown as I look at the ground not wanting to meet their eyes "I-I'm sorr—"

"Oi Ren!" A voice cuts me off as I can hear footsteps nearing my way.

"Look up at us," Hina's voice sounds. Obliging with her demand since she's captain I slowly tilt my head up to come face to face with her, the others right behind her.

"Look there's something," I fiddle with my fingers nervously, "I have to tell you about my past. I—"

"We already know Ren,"