Chapter 5 - Never Let Your Guard Down

"Okay, girls. It's show time! We've made it this far, might as well get to the finals while we're at it." Eunbi was leading the cheer for her team as they were getting ready to take the 'field'.

"I wonder what it'll be this time!" Yena says excitedly. They'd gone through a swamp and a subway thus far. Just how many more simulations were programmed into this room?

"Just stay sharp girls. This team got as far as us because they're good too. Don't let your guards down." Eunbi lectures. They were one step closer to the finals, so she was really hoping they could win it.

"Oh, here comes the other team now!" Yuri observes. They're led by a slim girl with blonde hair and a pointed chin, Park Seoyoung. She was intimidating to say the least. So, she's the girl who's been dominating mental power class. It's pretty unfair, she shouldn't be relegated to our class just because they had a hard time classifying her. Yuri thinks. Whenever there were mock battles or trainings the girl, Seoyoung, always stole the show due to her excess powers on top of her ability to 'borrow' someone else's. She gives Yuri a once-over and tilts her head up, as if not acknowledging her. Oh, I'll show you...

As the teams spread out to face each other, Yena seems to be delighted catching up with one of them. "Guys, this is Sihyeon! She came here with me and another friend." As she was about to greet back, another person butts in and blocks the way. Chaejeong was the name on her uniform. "No time for catching up, Sihyeon, save it for after we beat them." She says confidently with Sihyeon's face looking crestfallen, as if she really didn't want to be on that team.

Now that Eunbi's gotten a good look at them, the opponent team didn't seem too formidable. Aside from the girl Yuri and Minjoo had warned them about, these other girl's powers didn't spark fear into her. Then again, that Seoyoung girl might have been their key to success the whole time.

"Teams A and D! Get ready to take your sides of the field! We are about to start the match!" The loud voice of Seunggi booming from the speakers. This was sure to be a highly contested match.

~~~~

"Hey, Yena, how do you think Minjoo and Chaewon are doing over there?" Yuri asks her partner. So far, their pair strategy had been working wonders for their team, having a good balance on all parts of the area. The room had revealed itself to be a dark cave of sorts. They knew it was simulated, but it certainly felt real. The sounds of footsteps echo through the cavern, forking paths leading to different areas. You could also hear the sounds of water dripping from the ceiling as well as the squeaking of bats. The government had definitely done their job creating this place.

"They've been doing fine so far, but maybe we should focus on doing our job too." Yena said calmly. That was something that really surprised Yuri about Yena. Whenever there was a mission, it's as if there's a switch inside her that flips and she gets super serious. It was really intriguing to her.

"Say, want to finish the game we were playing the other day? The story-telling one?" Yuri quietly asked. Yena turns to her with a questioning look. It was so different from the nonchalant goofy expression she always had.

"Maybe later." She curtly responds.

"Hmm? What's your deal? The first time we played, you were just dying to know more about me." Yuri's pout is enough to get a grin from Yena, which she takes pride in.

"Now really isn't the time, Yuri. We have to focus on-." Yena suddenly tenses up, gesturing Yuri to quiet down.

"What's wrong? Did you hear something?" Yuri turns only to find Yena gone. Huh, where'd she run off to this time? There's silence for a few agonizingly long moments.