Chapter 7 - Small Talk

"Yah, Yena-unnie. Don't think we'll go easy on you just because we're roommates." Yujin says as they gather in their rooms that night.

"I wasn't expecting you to either." She responds with a laugh.

"I heard your leader, Eunbi-unnie, was hurt. Is she going to be back in time for the match?" Wonyoung asks curiously.

"She was pretty confident in herself. I think she believes she'll be back in time, so we're going to trust her." Yuri answers.

The four continued bantering for a while when their other two roommates, Juri and Goeun walked in.

"Oh, hi guys!" Wonyoung greets. She then turns to Juri, saying, "I'm sorry if I hit you too hard, Juri-unnie. You okay?" It was a sincere apology, everyone could tell, but Juri was a bit confused by it.

"Sorry? How come? You did what you had to do- help your teammate. It's all just training anyway. We should all be on each other's side." Juri says to which the group nods in agreement with. Every day, people like them were being persecuted for a power they didn't have control over getting. It didn't make much sense to squabble with each other when the only people who could truly understand them was each other.

"But..." Goeun jumps in. "That doesn't mean we're going to cheer for your team to win." Goeun teases the younger girls. "You four are our roommates, but we'll be siding with Yuri's team. Get revenge for us, will you girls?" She adds with a laugh. Yujin and Wonyoung proceed to whine, and the room starts bursting with laughter. Although rocky in the beginning, this room's inhabitants had slowly managed to get more comfortable with each other.

"Anyway, congrats on your team's win, Yuri. Want me to treat you to some extra food from the vending machine?" Goeun then asks. It was a surprising offer. Though meal time in the facility was structured, the trainers did allow them to order food from outside or spend extra money on vending machines or ice-cream parlors located in the cafeteria. The catch was they could only have this 'cheat' day, once a week, so giving that up to someone else was quite rare.

"Oh, sure, Goeun." She agrees but looks back at her duck-faced friend who's avoiding her gaze. "What about Yena-unnie? She's my teammate too."

"Ah, I'm sorry, Yena. I only have enough money for one meal right now." She then turns back to Yuri. "C'mon, let's go." Yuri gives one last look back at Yena before walking out.

~~~~

"Unnie...you are really slow." Yujin says flatly.

"I'm going to agree with Yujin on this one, unnie. You really let her do that in front of your salad." Wonyoung adds.

"You two actually agreeing on something? Has the world come to an end already?" Yena says jokingly while laying on her bed.

"Yah, can two people not agree with something when they see someone act like you? You really got to step up your game, unnie." Yujin replies.

"D-did you want some food too, Yena?" Juri asks quietly.

"No, Juri. I'm fine. I'm just tired from the match is all." Yena's just staring at the ceiling which causes her to miss the frown on Juri's face.

"Alright, I'll go meet some friends, guys. Don't wait up for me." And Juri walks out the room.

Yena groans loudly. "Why did she just agree like that? Does she not see the look Goeun gives her every time?"

"Unnie, if she can miss the look on your face every time you look at her, she'll obviously miss Goeun-unnie's too." Wonyoung replies which makes Yujin snicker.

"Yah, what face? I don't have a face. She's my teammate. I wanted to treat her to food too. That's all."

"Why are you getting defensive all of a sudden?" Yujin says with a laugh. "Maybe Yuri does see it but likes Goeun instead."