Hey Writer Person ✍️ - Dealing with Rejection

Hey writer person,

Let's talk about rejection. It's a subject with which I am VERY familiar. But I don't just wanna talk about how much it sucks -- because it does suck -- but also what to do with it, how to parse it out and take it with you.

Whether your subbing to agents, or publishers, review blogs, book clubs, Wattpad contests, etc, rejection is going to find a writer.

So what to do with it? Couple of things, I think.

Form/standard rejection -- you know, the kind that says "dear author, thank you but no." The end. Its general, it doesn't mention anything specific. And with the amount of content coming across gatekeepers' desks, it's very likely your story just didn't fit with what they were hunting for. Fifteen of those rejections? ...Look, I know that sounds like a lot, but I still say you can shrug it off. Fifty? Ok. Now's the time to think about revising.

Personal rejection -- these are the best kind, where the editor/agent/whoever explains exactly what didn't work for them. Someone cared enough about the story to say something specific?!? That means even though it's been rejected, a lot of the story is doing what it's supposed to do -- speaking to readers. But I don't think you need to start tearing apart the manuscript exactly where they said to just yet. If another person comes back with the same problem? Red flag. Three?!? Fix it. Revise. Send it out into the world again.

Contest rejection -- Didn't win the thing. Ewf, that one stings. But hey, there can only be one winner. Just because the story didn't place doesn't mean it's no good. And often times, the winner is really good. Like, inspiringly good. Often times, the winners make me want to be better. Read them. Study them. Learn and understand what worked. Take that understanding to your next work. Consider the gauntlet thrown down. Accept the challenge. And write the next winner.

So those are the things I think. I could be wrong, but it's how I deal.

How do you deal, writer person?