Hey Writer Person❤️

Hey Writer Person,

Got tough news about a cancelled project of mine last week. I was really excited about the project but forces beyond my control ultimately got the better of the whole situation. So I thought I'd talk about it in a post -- disappointment.

For some of us -- this kid right here -- writing life feels like more disappointments than wins. Actually, screw 'feels like'. It IS more disappointments than wins. There are so many heartbreaks and soul crushing defeats that it can often feel like, Ugh why am I bothering?

When I get that down on myself, Writer Person, I know it's time to step back and re-evaluate. When I get that down, I can't even bring myself to read anything so I know I'm in a bad way. I do something totally different for a while. I like to draw. And paint (shout out insta: megsscribbles) And watch movies (Ready or Not was a delight).

And inevitably, after a few days of self pity, a new story or character comes clawing at my brain, whispering at me to let them out.

Why do I bother? Cus I have to, I guess. The stories will always come and I can't stop that. As for the "business" side of writing, a lot of that is out of the writer's control. The only thing I can control is the work, and most importantly, valuing that work (which is a whole other post I'll find the strength for another day). So I'll put my head back down, write the words, and keep releasing my little story loves into the world, not sure where they'll fly to. But I'll still let them fly.

So write on Writer Person. Celebrate the wins, lament the defeats, but don't linger on either too long. Your worlds and characters are always calling. There's work to do. Your readers are waiting. ❤️