chapter nine

~~ y/n's pov ~~

i was rudely awakened by my alarm clock. i squinted my eyes open to see 6:00 am. this should be illegal.

today was the big day. the apartment was bought, clay had moved in and was coming to help me and nick. i cant believe it had been 2 weeks already, the days flew by. i guess nightly discord calls with the team pass the time quickly. my apartment was bare, i had packed up everything i needed, and sold the rest.

i sat up and rubbed my eyes, trying to wake myself up. i had an hour to get all my stuff and get to the airport. my flight left at 9 but i had to find clay at 7. i could get breakfast there, i had to make sure i wasn't leaving anything.

i put on those stupid glasses as contacts were NOT happening and looked around. all of the things i was taking was stuffed into 2 massive suitcases and 2 carry-ons. other than that, my apartment was empty.

i walked around for the last time, thinking about all the memories i had here. it really was a shame i had to leave, but this move was exciting. i just hope it all works out okay...

i pushed those thoughts out of my head. i had to be completely confident in this plan or i would talk myself out of it.

i started dragging my bags into my rental car. the sun started to rise as i put the last of my things away. i shut the trunk door and sighed. no going back now.

i put my keys in the landlords office and walked off. it was a short drive to the airport, so i got there right on time. i left everything in the car and went to the arrival area.

6:50, he'll be here any minute now.

i sat down on a bench and let out a shaky breath. i was meeting clay in 10 minutes and then we were flying all the way across the county to live in an apartment with 2 other people i also, had never met in real life. any sane person would not be doing this. but my heart told me this was the right plan, so here i was.

6:55.

my hands started fidgeting in my lap, my leg slightly bouncing. why was i so nervous? i had talked to clay before, we weren't total strangers.

6:58.

my stomach had butterflies. i nervously bit my lip and stared at the entrance. he was going to be here, with me, in 2 minutes.

7:00.

people started walking out the arrival gate, meeting their families or getting bags. my eyes scanned the faces coming out, i couldn't see him.

then, i made eye contact. soft green eyes with a slight twinkle.

my breath got knocked out of me. there he was, right there. i stood up and made my way towards him, thoughts racing.

how am i gonna greet him? will he go in for a hug, a high five, a dap? i don't know how to dap. a hug would make sense right, do we say something before or after, how long do we hug?

before i could self destruct myself, we were standing face to face. we looked at eachother for a second or two when suddenly my body just moved and wrapped him in a tight hug.

"woah, hey there y/n" he said with a laugh, taken back. his arms fell on my back and we hugged for the first time. he was really here, this was really happening.

"it's... really great to see you." i said, my face slightly muffled in his chest. i could feel his heart racing slightly.

"yeah. you have no idea." he responded.

we finally separated and i nudged my head towards the doors.

"took you long enough to get here" i said as we started walking.

"i didnt have to come you know, i was being nice" he responded.

"you LITERALLY bought a ticket after i told you no, it seems to me like you reaaaally wanted to come" i shot back and he rolled his eyes.

"whatever helps you sleep at night" he grinned and we fell into a comfortable silence. as we approached my car i spoke up again.

"just so you know, i'm not exactly a light packer" i said and opened the trunk, revealing my suitcases that looked like they were about to pop.

"yeah no kidding" he laughed as he grabbed one. it fell to the floor with a thump. "thank god for wheels" i agreed and tossed him a carry on. "lets get going, the security lines are always bad here" i said and we walked off.

-

we got through security pretty easily, and checked the massive suitcases on the flight. clay did get stopped for a pat down, so that provided some much needed laughs.

"okay so we are... gate 7. this way!" i said and started down the moving walkway. he stayed behind and i raised an eyebrow. he then started running up the other walkway, struggling to keep up. i laughed at him and started moving faster down my walkway.

"wait y/n stop hold on i'm coming" he said as his voice got progressively quieter. i had picked up to a jog and he was very far behind. i stopped and waited for his next move.

he looked up and down the walkway; it was just us two. he then proceeded to jump over the side, and promptly falling. i kneeled over in laughter, and by the time i finished he had reached me.

"it was not that funny y/n i got seriously hurt" clay joked, rubbing his elbow. i wiped a tear from my face and responded,

"no it really was. 10000 iq moment."

he lightly punched me in the arm and i rubbed my arm the same way he had. we both broke into laughter and continued walking to the gate. when we reached it we tossed our bags down and sat by the window. i checked my phone for the time.

8:15

"hey i'm hungry, you wanna grab something to eat on the plane?"

clay nodded his head and we promptly got back up, with our stuff.

"we really didn't even need to sit down, did we?" he said and i shook my head with a light laugh.

we wandered the airport, looking for something decent. finding nothing, we settled for a starbucks. he waited in line while i went to the little convince store next to it and grabbed some other snacks.

we met back up and actually sat down. we ate and watched the planes taking off and landing, with the occasional small talk.

actually being here with clay relieved me of most of my worries. something about him was just inviting and safe. and those eyes... i could get lost in them...

-

9:00

the announcement came over the speaker that our flight was boarding. we handed our tickets to the flight attendant and headed into the hallway. clay snapped a quick picture of the hallway with me in front of him, and tweeted it out as we sat into our seats.

the whole team had plans to tweet out some very vague tweets to get our viewers excited about what was happening.

i took a picture of our legs in the seats and captioned it

"a rare sighting, y/n actually leaving the house. who could she be accompanied by?" and sent it quickly. the captain started speaking on the intercom so i put my phone on airplane mode and went to my bag.

"gum?" i asked clay, taking a piece for myself.

"does my breath stink? i tried to brush my teeth in the bathroom.." he said slowly trailing off and i giggled.

"no stupid, it helps your ears not pop when we go up" i explained and leaned it towards him.

he sighed in relief and took one. the plane started moving and we settled in for the flight.