5 💕

I made my way to the library, as I tried to clear my head of the thoughts of Heather. It wasn't exactly an easy task to partake in. She ended up lingering there like the scent of the lavender perfume that she wore. I was supposed to just forget about her? How was I supposed to do that? I honestly didn't know if I wanted to be her or if I simply wanted to roll her down the hill outside the school grounds. The latter seemed a little extreme, though. After all, she hadn't actually done anything to me, besides making an attempt to be my friend. That wasn't even a bad thing. I just couldn't believe that I had been so credulous in believing that she and Drew were just friends. 

Maybe Heather was a talented singer, but that didn't change the fact that my mind seemed compelled to tell me that he had made her a part of the band because he liked her. 

Drew was a romantic at heart. If he saw a pretty girl, then it was essentially game over, mission failed, Drew had found someone that he wanted to be with and I had to let him go. Of course, most of his girlfriends had ended mutually. Drew had always seemed to struggle with commitment, which led me to wonder whether it was such a good idea for me to like him, anyway. After all, he might just end up hurting me in the end. 

As I thought about him, Drew soon entered the library and walked over to sit beside me. 

"Hey Zoe," he greeted me. 

"Hi Drew. How was band practice?" I asked him. 

"It was pretty good, thank you," he told me. 

I nodded in response. 

"I er...I spoke to Heather, earlier," I told him. 

His eyes brightened at the mere mention of her name, which meant that my heart suddenly felt dark. 

"Oh yeah! She's now one of the singers of the group. Cool, right?" he asked me. 

"Amazing," I said. It ended up coming out a lot more sarcastic than I had intended. 

Drew's eyebrows furrowed, as those green eyes of him locked on mine again. 

"Are you sure that you're okay, Zoe?" he asked me. 

"Why does everyone keep asking me that? I'm fine," I said. 

"You don't seem fine," he replied. 

"Well, maybe that's because everyone keeps asking me these questions that I would rather not answer," I stated. 

Drew became quiet then and it made me wish that I hadn't said so much. I knew that I was being temperamental again. I knew that I was being confusing. I wished that I could have just explained everything to him but I couldn't. 

Drew deserved to be happy and I didn't want to ruin our  friendship by bringing up my feelings. 

I supposed I then had to consider, though, whether it was such a good friendship in the first place, if I was hiding things from him. 

"Of course, you're okay! I mean, you're hanging out with me, your best friend, aren't you?" he asked me. 

I smirked at that, in some amusement I had managed to conjure up from the depths of my heart. 

"You have a superiority complex," I muttered. 

"And you continue to not tell me what's going on with you," he said, as he rested his arm on the table, and then rested his head in his hand. "I'm not leaving until you tell me what's going on with you." 

"You're so damn stubborn. I can't talk to you about this, Drew," I told him. 

"Ah, so there is something! Tell me," he said. 

I sighed in mild irritation. 

"Look, Drew. I'm allowed to keep some things to myself," I said. 

Before Drew could respond to that, Heather walked into the library to join the two of us. 

"Are you studying?" she asked. 

"Trying to," I replied, as I met Drew's gaze again and he narrowed his eyes at me. 

"Sounds good!" Heather said with a kind smile. 

Drew then invited Heather to sit with us, so I returned my attention to the textbook in front of me. 

I was seventeen. I was probably getting too old for this pettiness but that didn't stop me from feeling the way that I did. It probably would have seemed trivial to the vast majority of people that I was getting this upset over Drew having a new friend. However, I had been friends with him my whole life. If Heather's presence was going to be a regular occurrence, I couldn't help but feel jealousy start to bloom in my chest. 

It didn't help that Heather looked the way that she did. She was so tall and her legs were literally talk among so many of the male students that even I felt slightly uncomfortable. I didn't know whether it bothered Heather, though. Perhaps she relished the attention and compliments that she got. 

"Do you like music, Zoe?" Heather asked, which caused me to put the brakes on reading through my textbook. 

"Who doesn't?" I asked her. 

"Who's your favourite artist?" she asked me. 

"I don't know if I can just pick one. I like rock music- Nirvana, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers," I stated. 

Heather's eyes appeared to lighten at my mention of those band names. 

"I love them. You have good music taste," she told me. She then smiled at me, which caused the apples of her cheek to turn a pale pink.

I smiled back at her. Maybe she wasn't that bad. 

"They're what inspired me to write my own music," Heather told me. 

That was slightly impressive, actually. It was always nice to meet other talented people. 

"Which reminds me, I have a music lesson now. I'll see you two later," Heather told us both. 

Drew and I nodded in agreement, as our eyes followed her until she left the room. 

Drew then turned back to me, with that inquisitive expression upon his face again. 

"Please talk to me," he said. 

"Later," I said, as I stood up to place my backpack over my shoulder and made my way out of the library.