42 💕

After her performance, Heather ended up being quite hungry, so the two of us made our way out of the main hall and towards a local McDonald's. The two of us grabbed some Happy Meals and went to eat them in her car. I knew that the scent of fries was going to linger for about a week but Heather didn't seem to mind all too much. 

I turned to her and could immediately tell that she was feeling upset about what had happened with Drew. 

Even when her eyebrows were creased together slightly and a little line formed between them, Heather still looked so beautiful. 

"Heather, you really didn't have to quit the band for me," I told her. 

She turned to me, then, and gave a slight shake of her head. 

"Hey, Zoe, it's no big deal. I would do anything for you. Besides, we both saw how Drew was acting. He was being a total jackass and I don't want to be a part of that anymore," Heather said, "I care about you far too much to allow him to...insult you in the way that he has been doing for some time, now." 

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. 

"It's because he still likes you," I said. 

"Zoe..." 

"He always liked you over me. That was why I was so jealous of you for so long. Then I began to like you..." I said. 

There was a pause for a moment, before Heather spoke again. 

"Well, look how the turntables," she said. 

I smirked in response to that. 

"Precisely," I said. 

I was still upset that Drew and I hadn't been able to have a civil conversation for some time, now, but I was relieved that I had Heather right by my side. 

Heather turned to me and smiled. I smiled right back. 

"You're amazing, Heather. Don't let Drew ever let you forget that," I said. 

"How could I forget it when I have you reminding me all the time?" Heather said, with a warmth to her voice. 

"Do you want a chicken nugget?" I offered. 

"So much for me trying to become a vegetarian..." Heather trailed off, as she took one of the chicken nuggets and dunked it into some ketchup. "Thank you, Zoe," Heather said, after she had successfully eaten the chicken nugget. 

"Someone had to eat it. You know, if you hadn't been the one to do it then that poor chicken would have died for no reason," I said. 

"Perhaps it wasn't a meaningless waste of life after all..." Heather trailed off. 

The two of us stared apologetically at the box of chicken nuggets for a moment. 

Heather gazed at me without saying a word for a moment. 

"What? Do I have something on my face?" I asked her. 

Heather gave a slight shake of her head as her breath slowed. 

"No, you're just so beautiful. I am so lucky to have you and-" Heather cursed under her breath then. 

"What?" I asked, as I looked out of the main windscreen. 

"Penny Miller alert," she said. 

"You know, you should give her a shot. I'm sure the two of you would be good friends," I stated. 

Heather gave a dramatic shake of her head. 

"I don't think so, Zoe. It's so totally obvious to me that the girl completely hates me. I don't think so," she repeated, as she started up the engine of her car again, after brushing the chicken nugget crumbs off her jeans. 

"Okay," I said quietly, as she drove us on out of the parking lot and began to take me home. "Are we okay?" I asked her and my voice lilted a little in my nervousness. 

"Why wouldn't we be?" she asked me, as her eyebrows creased together again. 

"I don't know..." I started to say, as she stopped off outside of my house, "Maybe because of everything that's happened with Drew." 

Heather turned to me and her expression softened. 

"You need to stop worrying about him. If he's worth our time, he'll come around," Heather stated, as she touched a hand to her chest. She then reached out to twiddle some of my hair around her finger, as a gentle smile made its way onto her face.

I bit my lip, as my eyes glanced towards her own. 

Heather reached out to take my hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze. She then leant in so she could press a feather-light kiss to my cheek, before her eyes glanced down to my own lips. 

Heather leant in slightly, then, so I caught the scent of her lavender perfume. She leant in and then pressed her lips against my own and I entangled my fingers in her curls of blonde hair, as I kissed her back.

 I grew increasingly aware of the fact that it was just us, while we kissed, and that brought me some comfort. 

I had been so worried about Drew and school recently that the time that I had with Heather, now, really did make me feel better. She always made me feel better. She was like comfort personified. 

After she had finished kissing me, she wrapped her arms around me and gently trailed her fingers up and down my spine. 

Once she had drawn back from the hug, she locked gazes with me and smiled again. 

"Now listen, Zoe. The two of us are going to be alright for as long as we have each other, okay? I will always be here for you. I will always care about you," Heather said. 

I gave a nod of my head in my agreement. 

"We're a team, you know? And nobody could ever change that," she said. 

"Do you want to come in?" I asked her.

"I...I would but I promised Evie and my dad I would go out to dinner with them tonight," Heather said. 

"Maybe I should come along, just to really stir up the soup pot," I said. 

Heather gave a slight shake of her head, in her amusement. 

"My dad would absolutely hate that. Then again..." she trailed off, "...maybe it's time we tell him," she said. 

Well, I certainly hadn't been expecting her to say that.