48 💕

When we woke up the next morning, my phone began to buzz away and I quickly checked it to find that I had received a text from Abbie. She and Wesley were going to be hanging out and they had invited Heather and I to join them. 

"Are you cool with us hanging out with them?" I asked, as I snuggled up to her. 

"Yeah, of course. Give me a minute," Heather said, as a small smile made its way onto her face. Her eyes fluttered closed for a fraction of a minute and then opened again. 

Heather rolled over and got out of her bed and then offered her hand out to me. 

I took it and got out of bed, too. 

I was glad that she had offered her hand because in all honesty, her bed was so comfortable that I could have stayed there all day. 

Heather gave me a soft smile, as she moved a hand through her hair. 

"Uh, I should get ready," she said, as she seemed slightly distracted. 

"Yeah, me too. I'll stay here, while you get ready, and then we can switch?" I suggested. 

Heather nodded in agreement. 

"That works with me," she said, before making her way into the bathroom to get ready for the day ahead. 

"Heather Violets I need to talk to you!" Evie said, as she wandered into the room fully dressed and ready for the day. I felt a little bad for having got up so late, now. She gave me a slightly apologetic expression, as she met my gaze. "Sorry, Zoe. I didn't mean to barge in here. Heather was going to help me study for the test today." 

"Oh crap," Heather said, as she made her way out of the bathroom with a comb caught in her hair. "Okay, first of all..." she began to say, as she looked towards me, "Can you please help me get this out of my hair? Second of all-" she started to say, as she looked towards Evie, "I am so sorry that I forgot all about that, Eves. Maybe you should go and hang out with Abbie, Zoe. I'll see you later?" she suggested. 

I nodded my head, even though I was slightly disheartened by the fact that Heather wouldn't be able to spend the day with us. I was glad that I was going to be able to see Abbie and Wesley again, though. It had certainly been a while.  I had been pretty caught up in the whole Drew drama that I supposed I really hadn't spoken to them as much as I should have. They were great friends and, as lucky as I was to have Heather, I didn't want to lose them by being a distant friend. 

"Okay. I'll see you later, Heather. I hope the two of you have a good study session," I told the both of them. 

I got ready quickly and then made my way downstairs and out of the front door. Abbie had kindly volunteered to pick me up at the park nearby Heather's house, which I was thankful for. 

I got into Abbie's car and quickly found that Wesley was sat in the back with his headphones in. He took them off once he caught sight of me, though. 

"Hey Zoe...where did you get to last night?" he asked me. 

"Sleepover," I said. 

Abbie looked towards Wesley momentarily and then back at me. 

"It's okay, Zoe. He knows. He kind of figured it all out," Abbie told me. 

I exhaled. 

"Right," I said. 

"So, you and Heather, huh? That's adorable but...damn. I can see why you wanted to keep things hidden from him. I know that the two of you are going to be able to work everything out, though! You're one of the greatest friends I have ever had, Zoe Pine. Drew would be a fool to give all of that up. He just needs to grow up. I don't know...maybe he's stressed out because we're all going to be leaving high school soon and he's not ready for that. You would think he's like this big popular person but in reality he stresses, a lot," Wesley said. 

He didn't need to tell me that twice. I knew how Drew could get sometimes. He wanted to seem as though he was could stand on top of the world, above it all. However, in reality, he was probably freaking out about the future and he didn't have the best way of communicating that. Drew was a strong guy, both physically and mentally, too, but he did have a tendency to refuse help from other people, even if he may have truly needed it.  

I ran a hand through my hair and stared out the windscreen as Abbie began to drive off. I could feel her glancing at me every so often. She could probably tell that there was a still a lot on my mind but I suppose that I simply had to accept the fact that ultimately I couldn't change anything. I was going to have to let Drew talk to me in his own time and that was all that I could do. Well, at least, I thought that at first. 

Perhaps it was about time for me to send a text his way. 

As soon as we got out of Abbie's car at the park, the wind instantly swept through my hair causing it to become all tangled but that was the least of my concerns. 

"You're going to text him later, aren't you?" Abbie asked me. 

"I need to talk to him, Abs," I said. 

"I want to go and get churros. You two coming?" Wesley asked. 

Abbie and I kept our eye contact for a short while longer, before Abbie tuned her attention back to Wesley and gave a nod of her head. 

"Yes, of course," she said. 

The two of us made our way over to the churro stand while I mustered up the courage to text Drew.