23 💕

Halloween had been a great day. My friends and I had managed to watch several of the Marvel movies and a few scary ones, too, while we ate copious amounts of snacks and popcorn. I could consider the evening to be an all round success.

I had finally told Drew how I felt. Of course, it had been accidental but I was relieved that it was finally out in the open. Perhaps now I had some closure to my feelings. Even though things hadn't worked out in the way that I had initially hoped they would, Drew and I were still friends. I would always have that.

I also had Heather who was my beautiful, caring and kind friend.

I realised how much time I had spent over thinking everything and ultimately knew that I needed to spend more of my time simply appreciating spending time with the people that I cared about. If I knew one thing for sure, then I knew that time moved quickly. It wouldn't be long before Drew would head off to university and I wanted to make the most of the time that I had with him before that happened.

As the sun shone outside, I decided that it was time for me to go to school.

I swiftly walked downstairs so I could help my mother cook some pancakes for breakfast and Riley soon joined us. His hair was slightly disheveled from sleep and his eyes looked a little puffy which told me that he was still a little tired. I could relate to that. I had always hated waking up early for school but now that I knew I had so little time left at school, I couldn't help but feel anxious for that time to end.

"Hey," Riley said to me, as the two of us walked into the dining room with our plates stacked high with pancakes.

"Morning, Riles. How are you?" I asked him.

"Exhausted. I stayed up late watching a series on Netflix," he told me.

It may not have been the best of ideas to have given Riley the Netflix password. He spent so many late nights up watching it that I was growing a little concerned for his screen time.

"Was it good?" I asked him.

"Amazing!" he told me and then grinned.

"Good!" I replied.

"I had a question that I wanted to ask you," he said.

I felt my expression become expectant, as I waited for Riley to ask me his question.

"Are you and Drew alright?" he inquired.

"Yes," I said.

I knew that I could depend on Riley to wonder about that. It was nice to have a younger brother that seemed to care so much.

"Good. I'm glad. I told you that you would be. Did you tell him how you felt?" he asked.

"It sort of just slipped out when I was talking to Heather," I replied.

Riley raised an eyebrow at me then before he went to raid the fridge for some chocolate sauce for his pancakes.

"You talk about Heather all the time," he said.

"Not all the time. Besides, she is my friend. I think that warrants me talking about her a lot," I replied nonchalantly.

Riley narrowed his  eyes at me in his suspicion. 

"Right," he said, "You know what I think. I think that there's something more going on here." 

"Why?" I asked. 

"The expression that appears on your face whenever you talk about Heather, as though she was the most incredible person that you have ever met," he stated simply. Well, I say simple but I didn't believe that anything about what he had just uttered was simple. 

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied. 

"Yes, you do. You like her. You're being a fool if you say otherwise," Riley said. 

"Stop being so judgmental, Riley. Of course, I like her. She's my friend," I said. 

Riley pinched the bridge of his nose before taking another bite of his pancake. 

"You're ridiculous," he told me.

"I think you're ridiculous," I said, as I began to eat up my pancake to avoid talking about this anymore. 

Why did he think that I liked Heather? I had made it so clear that the two of us were just friends. We were really good friends. 

So, why was my heart starting to race? 

I shrugged the thought away, as I finished up my breakfast and soon left the dining room, so I could go and place my dishes in the dishwasher. 

After that, I changed into a black shirt and jeans, before I made my way outside to Drew's car. 

"Are you alright?" Drew asked me, as I sat down in the passenger seat. 

"I'm all good," I said. 

Drew's eyes narrowed in suspicion. 

"Everything is cool between the two of us, right?" he asked me. 

"Of course it is, Drew. You already knew that, though," I reminded him. 

A confident smile spread across Drew's features, as he started up the car again and drove us to school. 

Upon arrival, we quickly bumped into Heather. Thankfully, not literally. 

Heather's eyes locked on mine and I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks again. 

Heather's gorgeous blue eyes seemed incredibly warm, as she smiled back at me. 

"Hey, you two," she said. 

I honestly believed that the blue of her eyes rivaled that of the oceans. How could one person be so perfect? 

I caught myself before I slipped into another bout of thoughts and swiftly replied. 

"Hey Heather," I said. 

Heather turned to Drew, who was smiling pleasantly at her, too. 

I was glad that the two of them were still friends, even after Drew had confessed his feelings for her and she had told him that she didn't feel the same way. 

I wasn't sure what Heather wanted in a guy but apparently Drew didn't make the cut.

In a way, though, despite feeling sorry for my friend, I was relieved that we were all going to stay friends. I had a feeling that it would have been incredibly awkward if I had to be their third wheel. At least if anything like that had happened, I would have Abbie. She was also the one person that I decided I needed to talk to about the conversation I had with my brother in the morning. 

First things first, though, I had a math lesson.