13 💕

A few minutes later, the two of us arrived at the fall dance. There was a slight chill in the October air but it was tolerable. I was glad that I had made the decision to bring my coat with me, though. A cat ran out in front of us on the way towards the main entrance of the school. Perhaps it wanted to come to the dance, too. It wasn't dressed appropriately, though. Besides, if this cat was anything like the pet cat my brother and I had years ago, it probably would have ended up eating all of the party food in sight. It soon rushed away before I could look at it again.

"Hey Heather," I said, as the two of us walked into the school building and were instantly welcomed by the warmth it provided.

Heather turned to me then with an expression of curiosity.

"Yes, Zoe?" she asked me, as her eyes brightened a little.

"After your performance, do you want to dance?" I asked her.

Heather's lips naturally formed a smile after I had asked her that.

"I would love to, Zoe," she told me, with a kindness to her voice.

It was strange to be friends with Heather, now, especially after everything that I had previously thought about her but I supposed that my thoughts had changed and it proved that you couldn't judge people at a surface level. Heather was my friend now and anything that I had previously thought about her had been proved wrong. She was a kind and caring person and nothing like what other people had ever made her out to be.

Maybe jealousy really was a sickness when it caused people to say such horrendous things.

Their band was soon called up onto the main stage and as I watched Heather standing up there with her perfect smile upon her face and her warm eyes I couldn't get over how beautiful she looked.

Everyone's eyes were trained on her, as though she was the most fascinating girl that they had ever met. Perhaps that was just me, though, that thought that.

When I caught sight of Drew gazing at her, though, I quickly realised that wasn't the case. I had been so jealous of Heather before but it had almost been comforting to find out that she was jealous of me, too. She was jealous of me even if she happened to be the gorgeous, charismatic and talented one who smelt like lavender and all things wonderful.

How was she a real person? It was almost unfair.

I watched as she sang, with a voice that I was convinced could only belong to the angels. Maybe she was an angel. That would certainly explain a lot. As Heather sang, the light caught her eye shadow in a way that made it sparkle and she looked incredible, as her gorgeous blonde curls swayed from side to side.

I decided to go and get drinks for Heather and I, as I could tell that she was about to come to the end of her performance and I wanted to do whatever I could to help. I had never thought that I would ever have wanted to help Heather Violets but stranger things had happened.

"Weird," Abbie said, as she greeted me by the punch bowl.

I turned to her with an expression of curiosity.

"What's weird?" I asked her.

"Well...I just never expected that you would end up coming to the fall dance with Heather Violets of all people. You've literally not taken your eyes off her all evening," she said.

I felt my cheeks heat up a little, as she said that. I wasn't really sure why I had become so nervous, though.

"And what about it?" I asked.

Abbie's eyes appeared to widen slightly in her surprise.

"Nothing. I guess that it's a good thing that the two of you are friends now, that's all," she told me.

I felt the corner of my lips lift a little in a half smile.

"Well, I certainly think so. I was wrong about her," I admitted.

Heather continued to sing with the others until their performance came to an end. That was when she made her way through the crowds of people that were applauding to come and talk to me.

The bright lights above us illuminated her features almost perfectly and she grinned, as she stood beside me.

"Hey Zoe, hey Abbie," she greeted the two of us.

"Hey," Abbie said, "I'm going to go and dance with Wesley. I'll see you two later."

Heather gave a slight nod of her head before watching as Abbie walked away. She soon turned her attention back to me.

"I got you a drink," I told her.

"Thank you! It was so hot up there that is as almost worried I would pass out and fall off the stage," Heather told me.

I released a soft laugh as I handed her the drink.

Heather swiftly drank all of it before her eyes locked on mine again.

"So, how did I do?" she asked me.

"You were amazing, Heather," I told her.

"Do you really think so?" she asked me, as her eyes brightened again which only made her appear even more attractive. Honestly, she had either been crafted by a Greek God or Goddess themselves or she had won the genetic lottery.

"Yes," I said, as I took another breath. My breath had caught in my throat for a moment and I had to wonder how Heather had this effect even on me.

Heather rushed forward to wrap her arms around me in a quick hug.

"Oh, thank you Zoe!" she said kindly.

I released a gentle chuckle in my surprise that she had hugged me so quickly.

"You're welcome," was all that I managed to say.

"So, should we dance?" Heather asked me, as an almost shy expression appeared on her face.

I gave a nod of my head, clearly still somewhat distracted by the hug that Heather had given me.

The two of us moved through the crowds to find some space and danced together for a while until Drew and the others wandered over to join us. We danced the rest of the evening away until the full moon became visible in the dark blue sky of the night and it became time to go home again.