33 💕

Abbie glanced at me for a moment but then turned her attention to the rain that was coming down harder now in front of us. 

"I mean...is it school stress?" she asked me. 

I gave a slight shake of my head. 

"Is it about Heather, then?" she asked. 

I nodded. 

"Did Heather do something to upset you?" she asked me. 

I swallowed before I gave a response to that. 

"No. Heather's been absolutely fine. She's the sweetest. This is all on Drew. He's just...he keeps asking so many questions, you know? He demands answers all the time about what's going on between Heather and I. You know what he said today? He said 'Heather's not gay' as though the concept of her being gay alone was disgusting to him or something...I don't know. Maybe I'm being irrational here. Maybe I'm assuming too much from something so small but...that doesn't change the fact that it happened and it bothered me," I said. 

"Hey, Zoe. You're allowed to be upset," Abbie said sensitively. "You're an amazing friend to Drew. You've always been there for him and you shouldn't have to listen to him being such an asshole, in all honesty. A while ago, I was there as much as I could be for a friend and one day we fell out because they...well, they liked me. I know that's not the exact situation that you're in with Drew but...feelings can complicate things," Abbie said. 

I nodded in understanding at her words. 

"Yeah, no kidding," I replied. 

 "Do you want to stay at mine until things blow over?" Abbie asked me. 

"I appreciate that but...I think I'll be okay," I said. 

Besides, I couldn't just skip school. I had so much work that I needed to get done. I had been somewhat preoccupied and I hated that I had become so distracted, especially when I observed Heather working in class and knew how hard she worked in all of her subjects. It made me feel as though I was doing something wrong. 

"I think the problem is you can be so oblivious at times, Zoe. I mean...you were oblivious to how much Heather liked you before, even though it was incredibly obvious to me-" 

"Well, you have good gaydar and I thought I was straight for a long time, Abbie. Be kind to me," I said. 

Abbie smirked then. 

"Alright," she said, as she put her hands up innocently. "All I'm saying is that the reason why Drew seems to care so much is because he really likes you. You're his best friend and he...he hates the fact that he feels like you're hiding important things from him." 

Well, that certainly put things into perspective. 

"I get that, Abbie. I really do. However, I can't just out Heather. She trusts me. I trust her. It's just us, you know? If we get other people involved then how long is it going to be before other people find out...Theo is already spreading a rumour around the school about Heather which I'm sure is going to end up spreading like wildfire," I said, 

Abbie's expression became much more sympathetic, then. 

"If I can offer some words of wisdom, you need to keep pushing on, Zoe. These rumours come and go...I mean, there was also once a rumour that Heather was pregnant. People like to speculate because she's popular and some girls and boys will do whatever they can to try to drag her down, even though she definitely doesn't deserve that. I know objectively that Heather is one of the kindest souls in this school. So, trust me, this whole thing will blow over, Zoe," Abbie assured me. 

"I admire you, Abbie. You're such a great friend. I truly am lucky that I have you around," I told her. 

Abbie gently squeezed my shoulder as a way to reassure me that I was going to be okay. I really hoped that I would be. I moved in a little closer, so the two of us could hug for a moment. 

"Can I move in with you?" I joked. 

"Is it that bad at your house?" she asked me. 

"My mom and dad are barely talking to each other at the moment, so...I really don't know, Abbie," I admitted. 

"I could tell there was a lot upsetting you. If I had known how much...I would have been here a lot sooner. I'm sorry, Zoe," Abbie told me. 

"It's okay. I just wish I knew what to do. Do I tell Drew so that our friendship is okay again, or do I not tell Drew and potentially risk everything that I have ever had with him? I don't want to have to make that choice, Abbie. I don't want to have to choose between Drew and Heather," I stated. 

"If you had to choose?" Abbie asked me. 

"I...you know how I feel about Heather, Abbie. I can't let her go," I said. 

I felt as though a weight was pressing in on my chest due to this conversation, although I knew that it was important for the two of us to have it. I couldn't keep all of this tension I felt about the whole Drew and Heather situation within myself. It hurt too much. 

"I...I used to be so easily led by Drew. I would do everything that he said and tell him everything he wanted to hear but I can't do that anymore," I said. "My secret is that everyone thinks I'm this amazing friend when I'm really not." 

"Hey, you can't think that, Zoe. You are a great friend. If I didn't think that, then I wouldn't be sat on this bench with you right now. You don't have to tell anyone anything about your personal life, alright? Those secrets can stay safe with you and safe with me."

Abbie observed the scene around us for a moment. Fortunately, nobody was in sight who I feared might come along to demand answers to all of the questions that I was in no way shape or form prepared to answer. 

"Thank you, Abbie," I said. 

"Of course. I've got your back, Zoe," she promised. 

I was glad that someone other than Heather did because I feared that Drew and I wouldn't be talking for some time, now.