43 💕

I took a moment to reflect upon what Heather had just suggested. 

"You can tell me if I'm being entirely too crazy, here, by the way. I'll understand," Heather told me, as that beautiful smile appeared on her face again. 

"No, Heather. I mean, if you're ready for me to meet your dad...to tell him, then that's amazing. I just want to make sure that you're ready and that you're going to be safe," I said. 

"I can't guarantee that," Heather said, as an expression of concern became evident on her face. "However, it's almost Christmas and I wanted to come out to him before then." 

"Yeah?" I asked her. 

Heather nodded. 

"And uh...I'd like to think that if my mom were here, then she would be proud of me for doing this, you know? Evie will always support me in who I am. I wish my dad could do the same," Heather said. 

"Hey, Heather Violets, you have got this. You are not  a little kid anymore. You have every right to be who you are, regardless of what your dad thinks of you. You are certainly not small. You're one of the strongest people I know...I mean, just think of the way you stood up to Drew today when he was being an asshole. You're amazing, Heather," I assured her. 

Heather moved a hand through her blonde curls and smiled. 

"I am so lucky to have you, Zoe," she said. "Are you sure you're okay with all of this?" she asked, with a caring tone of voice. 

"I'm okay with this. You know, just so long as your dad doesn't try to start up drama at the restaurant," I said. 

Heather gave an understanding nod of her head at that statement, as she moved her hair over her shoulders a little nervously. She offered me a charismatic smile, but I could tell that she had a bundle of nerves in her mind and stomach, from the glimmer of worry that had appeared in her eyes fleetingly.  

"Let's go get you ready," Heather said decisively, as the two of us stepped out of the car and walked up to my room. 

Once we had arrived, Heather began to sweep through my wardrobe until she found a pretty red dress for me to wear. 

"This one," she said, "I already brought a change of clothes to school with me that I can wear. I was supposed to have a rehearsal performance with Drew today," she informed me, as she took a sequin black skirt out of her bag. "I doubt that's happening now, though." 

I met her with an expression of sympathy. 

"I..." Heather trailed off. 

"Hey, don't beat yourself up over this, Heather. All you ever tried to do was show Drew your kindness and if he can't accept that then...it's over for him," I said, as I began to get changed into the dress. 

Heather turned her back to give me some privacy and I did the same for her, as she got ready. 

Once we were all sorted, it was time for us to head out for the night. 

"Dad and Evie have messaged. They're going to be at the restaurant soon enough and..." Heather trailed off. 

"What?" I asked her. 

Heather's eyes glanced over me momentarily and then she smiled. 

"Wow...you just look beautiful," she said. 

"As do you," I replied. 

Heather's eyes warmed at my kind words and the two of us walked over to her car. 

"I...I don't know how this is going to go," she stated. 

"It could go extraordinarily well," I suggested but then sighed. 

"Are you okay?" she asked me. 

"No. I don't know," I said. 

Heather turned to me with an expression of worry. 

"Is everything okay?" she asked again. 

I gave a slight shake of my head. 

"I don't know. I thought maybe this was a good idea but now I'm not so sure and that makes me anxious," I stated. 

Heather's expression shifted to a more understanding one, as she reached out to hold my hand in hers. 

"Hey now, I'm not exactly sure this is the best idea ever but...I'm the one coming out. Besides, I'll protect you when we're with my dad, alright? I'm not going to let him hurt you. Not ever," she vowed. 

I felt a little more content at her kind words but I supposed the two of us were simply going to have to see how the evening went. 

After about a half hour, we parked in the parking lot of the restaurant and soon walked inside. 

We found Evie and their father sat at a table in the corner and wandered on over to them. 

"Heather...who's this?" he asked. 

Evie's eyes widened slightly but the corner of her lips twitched up slightly. Evie had always been incredibly easy going. 

"This, dad, is Zoe," she said. 

Heather's father raised an eyebrow at her, as she said that. 

"She's my girlfriend," Heather added. 

He didn't say a word but his eyes drifted between the two of us momentarily, before he spoke. 

"I...this is all wrong, Heather," he said. 

"Dad," Evie said, with a warning tone in her voice. 

Their father turned to her and gave a slight shake of his head. 

"No, Evie. Did you know about this? Heather, you can't have a girlfriend. I...I thought I made myself clear when I told you to date Drew Archer," he said. 

Heather shrugged. She still hadn't sat down at the table but, then again, neither had I. 

"I don't want to date Drew Archer, dad," she told him, as his steely expression remained set on his face. Heather took my hand in hers and it almost felt as though she was holding on for dear life, or some kind of reassurance. 

Heather's father took his glasses off, so he could pinch the bridge of his nose. 

"I want to date Zoe," Heather said. "I really, really like Zoe and nothing you can say could change that because this isn't a phase. This isn't going to last several weeks and then fizzle out like you might think it will, dad. This is my life. I am gay," she said. 

Several people turned around then, but they were mostly too focused on the steaks and burgers being set down in front of them. 

Her father eventually returned his gaze to her and his jaw finally unclenched. 

"Okay, Heather," he said. 

"Okay?" she asked. 

"I'm...I'm a little shocked and it will take me some time to get used to but...okay," he said. 

Heather gave a nod of her head, as a feeling of relief came into fruition. Although I had been so on edge, perhaps there would be one good outcome today.