chapter 10 (i)

My eyes flutter open, I roll out of bed and head to the bathroom for my morning routine.

I remember last night and my stomach flutters at the thought.
I get dressed and head downstairs.

As I descend the stairs, I notice that the house was very quiet.

' Everyone must still be asleep. 'I thought.

The aroma of freshly baked pancakes fills the corridor and I head for the kitchen.

There was a man sitting on the island with his back to me. He must have sensed my presence behind him because he turns around and offers a light smile.

'' Good morning. '' He greets.

'' Luca? '' I ask, recognizing him from the fundraiser.

'' Gianna, was it? '' He replies.

'' Yeah. '' I nod '' you live here? '' I ask.

'' No, I broke in to have breakfast. '' He rolls his eyes and I let out a dry laugh.

'' So, want some stolen breakfast? '' He asks with a grin.

'' Mafalda would have our heads. '' I joke and he chuckles.

I sit beside him on the island.

'' Don't worry, there's a freak detector on the door. '' He says and I laugh.

He puts pancakes on a plate and places it in front of me.

'' Thanks. '' I mutter.

I take a bite from a pancake, God it was heavenly.

'' Not bad for a stolen breakfast. '' I tease.

'' I'll have you know that I'm a pretty good cook. '' He says smugly.

'' Is that so? I ask.

'' Enzo and I lived together in college and he couldn't cook to save his life therefore, I had to hone my culinary skills either that or we'd starve to death. '' He says.

This made me laugh. I take note of the nickname he called Mr Saverio.

'' Enzo? you guys are pretty chummy. ''

'' We practically grew up together, he's my family. ''

'' You lived in Italy too? '' I ask.

'' Yeah we moved to Chicago when I was ten. Enzo was eight at the time. '' He explains.

'' How come you both went to college together when you're older? '' I ask and he laughs.

'' Let's say I'm not the brightest student. so you know.....I repeated some classes. '' He shrugs.

'' Well that much is obvious. '' I joke.

'' You wound me Gianna. '' He clutches his chest, feigning pain which makes me chuckle.

'' what did you study? '' I ask.

'' I majored in psychology while Enzo majored in business. '' He replies.

'' Why psychology? '' I ask.

'' we need to be familiar with the human mind. To be able to see through peoples bullshit. '' He explains.

My father crosses my mind when he mentioned he needs to be familiar with the human mind.

'' Then I guess you failed in understanding my father's mind. '' I say and Luca sighs.

'' I know your father is not the traitor Gianna, and I believe Enzo knows that too, but we act based on the evidences and right know, all evidences ate pointing at your father. ''