Picnic

that night i woke up with a start.

there was someone outside.

i slipped on a cloak and rushed to where the noise was coming from and saw a figure down a path.

i quietly followed them to the rim of a volcano.

suddenly they stopped and turned round, but i ducked into a bush and just about evaded their sight.

they carried on down the road and turned in at the prison.

they entered through he doors and i slipped in behind them.

i followed them as they rounded a corner but they suddenly stopped and i leant against a wall, my heart beating quickly.

'you again? stop where you are.' shouted a guard, 'prince zuko?!'

zuko?

'i'm going in for a visit. you're gonna stand guard here, and no one is going to know about this.'

he dropped the guards collar and went in.

i fell to the floor, only just realising that id been holding my breath.

what was zuko doing in the prison?

unless -

i stood up and walked down past the guard who didn't disturb me.

i waited in the doorway.

i knew that zuko wasn't going to let his eyes off iroh, or was at least hoped it.

'uncle. it's me.' he said, removing his hood.

iroh turned away to face the back of the cell, scowling.

but he hadn't seen me

'you brought this on yourself, you know. we could have returned together. you could have been a hero! you have no right to judge me uncle. i did what i had to do in ba sing se, and you're a fool for not joining me.' said zuko, suddenly shouting, 'you're not gonna say anything?'

enraged, he kicked a stool up and sent a blast into the wall.

i ducked to the other side of the door and counted to ten.

'argh! you're a crazy old man! you're crazy, and if you weren't in jail, you'd be sleeping in a gutter!'

he went to slam the door shut and i ran as fats as i could out the door and down the road

oh what i wouldnt give to be on appa right now.

---

i woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my door.

'y/n, it's zuko' he said from behind it.

and - in that split second - i decided i wasn't gonna talk about the night before.

i hopped out of bed and shouted, 'uh one sec'

i rushed to the wardrobe and picked out an outfit, 'sorry ill be out in a minute, what is it?'

he began talking, but i wasn't listening.

i was too busy trying to do up the skirt.

'so i was wondering i-' he began but he was talking too quietly for me to make out the rest.

'can you say that again?' i asked, doing up my top and putting my shoes on.

'well i was just wondering if, maybe, i dont know... if you'd li-'

but i opened the door before he could carry on, tying up my hair and motioning for him to come in.

'uh so as i was saying' he said, just as my hairband broke.