chapter 6

lizzie

The girl looked for about minute after I'd noticed and then, she bolted. She just took off and ran into the woods. I wanted to run after her but I didn't want to make a scene. I knew that if there's something seriously wrong you don't want to be chased or followed. But there was something about the hurt in her eyes when they met mine that unsettled me. Why did I recognize her eyes? Where had I seen those eyes before? I tried to shake it off and be social. I made conversation, joked around with Milton, gagged at Penelope and her new girl, danced with Josie, made fun of her mophead of a boyfriend, played beer-pong with raf tried to be as normal of a teenager that my brain would let me. And before I knew it the night came to an end. When me and the other Salvatore kids made the effort to return to our school. When I spotted the auburn haired girl at the edge of the woods, her hair messy and her eyes glossy. She looked like she had a rough night. But then she snapped her fingers and looked just like she did before. Wait, she's a witch. Would she be trying to tell me something with her magic? Wait wasn't she a mikealson? I thought freya was the only mikealson witch. my head filled with questions when I saw the girl get in a car with the guy, Penelope and her new girlfriend. and they drove off without anything I could do about it.

I returned to the party and tried to find enjoyment in drunk teenagers and bad music but I just couldn't. Then I saw a familiar man on the edge of the woods, Sebastian. He saw me too and walked up to me. "Sebastian." I cooly greeted the vamp. "Evening Elizabeth. You outshine the beauty of the evening tonight. Not that I can say that it's very surprising." he spoke smoothly. "Are you feeling awfully poetic this evening Sebastian?" I asked. "No more than usual Elizabeth. What brought you out here tonight?" "My sister wanted to go to the party. It's thrown by her ex's new girlfriend so u think she wanted to scoop out what she'd moved on to." "Ah, past lovers. Did she find what she was looking for?" "I don't know Sebastian. We haven't talked yet I think she's off with her boyfriend." "The curly headed one?" "Yes Sebastian. The one that has a bird nest on his head." he seemed to really think about what he was going to say to her in that moment. "Is there anything I could do for you Elizabeth? A moment of deja vu to last summer perhaps?" Images of sneaking out with Sebastian to hook up under the moon and to drink bourbon from the 1800 flashed through my mind. Maybe it would take my mind off of this.

So i followed Sebastian into the woods. Hoping this would take her mind of the auburn haired one. I let my body got through familiar motions of last summer. The cold of the car on my back making my mind flash with memories of the summer but also flashes of miss misty falls and tears on my shoulder. The sting of vampire teeth in my shoulder made me think of the pain of a muffled sob. The shock of pleasure made me think of the vibration of magic running through the ground and air. A scream bolted through my brain, the vision of a girl screaming and letting out a massive amount of magic flashed through my mind. When its was over I walked back to the party to find my sister and after about 30 minutes we left the party. my mind filled with auburn hair and my heart full of regret.

hope

When I returned to the party I saw Maya's eyes scan the party before her eyes landed on me and she waved for me to come over where she was standing. I walked over to her and joined the group. "Hey where were you?" "Oh just took a little walk to get some air. I didn't worry you did I?" "No no, just wondered." "Good wouldn't want anyone to worry about me." we then returned to the conversation in which Penelope was telling us about the time Maya and her went on a road trip and scammed men into buying them a fancy weekend getaway. Penelope is bragging about how good she is at date planing and Maya is agreeing with pure love for her girlfriend in her eyes. Hope has heard some of the dates before because Josie also got taken on those dates but she's happy to hear that Park also has some originality and didn't take her on all the exact same dates as she did with Josie.

After more conversations of dates and presents i decide to go check out what Ethan is doing. I find the boy sitting with a cup in hand at the river side. "Hey. you're not having fun?" Ethan seems to be woken from his thoughts as he turns around to face me and gives me a soft smile. "Nah, beerpong and making out aren't really my jam." "yeah me neither." I sit down next to him, he doesn't seem to mind and we enjoy the silence and the view for a second. "So what is your jam?" he asks me. I Let out a genuine laugh "My jam?" He looks away a little embarrassed. "Yeah like what does Hope Marshall like to do for fun?" Hope has to think about this one. From all the questions people ask what she likes to do hasn't been one in a long time. Eventually I answer with "I used to paint." "You used to paint?" "Yes." "Why is that in past tense." "because I don't have the time." "You are a high school student. You've got plenty of time." "Well maybe you just don't have a life." I tease. "I do actually." he pauses for a second. "Who taught you how to paint?" hope contemplates her answer for a second before admitting "My father did." "Well is he a good painter? Is that his profession?" i try to swallow the pain that comes with talking about my dad and then answers, "No that wasn't his profession." we stay in silence for a minute or two and then Ethan gets the courage to ask. "Wasn't?" he questions "hmm?" "You said he was. Did he quit his old job and then started painting? Why the was?" I realize I have two options here: either lie and make up more lies about my past or open up to Ethan about my past and still lie to hide all the supernatural specials. I decide to do the later I'm sick of lying and a little bit of truth can't hurt right. "He died." she says bluntly trying to avoid further questions. "I'm sorry." "Don't be. It's not your fault." "I know. But I'm still sorry." The silence takes over for a second before hope breaks it by saying "He was a really good painter. He taught me too, not that I'm nearly as good as my dad was." "You'll get there someday." "Yeah maybe."

They lay there under the night sky before they both fall asleep under the night stars. Without either of them even noticing for a second.