Chapter 24.

Chapter 24.

~Maya~

I was still on the floor crying my eyes out as soon as Elijah left when Kyle came rushing back into the apartment scooping me up in his arms. "Shhh babygirl. It's going to be okay."

"It's not. It's not going to be okay." I wept as I stood up and started pacing my living room. I turned towards Kyle where he still sat on his knees eyes me with caution and a hell lot of worry. "It hurts so bad. Right here Kyle." I poked my chest with a hard finger but felt nothing. As if my body had gone numb but the only thing that hurt was my heart. "She said she's his wife. His wife."

Kyle's eyes widened upon hearing that and slowing got up. "What? When the fuck did he get married?"

"That's what I don't know. There's nowhere on the internet about his marriage. And now. Now he says that she isn't his wife." My hands move up to my hair gripping them hard in frustration. "I don't understand any of this Kyle. What am I supposed to do?" I looked at him genuinely wanting the answer because I really had no idea what to think. "My heart and mind are in a furious battle, tugging me in different directions. Where my heart wants to accept that's he's telling the truth. My mind is shouting at me to not ignore the signs. He's always been so secretive about himself. There's something that's going on between them but I don't have the power to listen to it anymore. Because I knew that if he said anything further, I would forgive and forget everything and rush back in his arms where I so desperately want to be."

By the time I finished my rambling I look at Kyle who's looking at me with his mouth hanging open and eyes widened to an extend where I fear they might pop out.

"Kyle. Help me." As soon as I said that Kyle was right there beside me, folding me right in his arms. But I couldn't stop myself from feeling wrong about it. It wasn't his arms that I wanted around me. And that's the thought that scares me. And the only question that comes my mind is, if he's telling the truth. How long will it take for me to rush back to him?

*****

~Elijah~

The resignation staring back at me made my stomach crunch and made me hate my mere existence. Why did I for a second think she was lying? That I didn't beg her to not do it?

I know how betrayed she felt. The sight of her tears were like bullets piercing through my heart but there's no one else to blame but me. I should have told her the truth. Told her how my father threatened me to take away the business if I didn't marry Jennifer. I should've told her in the restaurant but something held me back. Maybe I had hope that I could diminish the situation before it ever discloses. Yeah stupid fucking idea.

I pulled back to the reality when my office door is slammed opened and Maria barges in like a bull running towards it enemy. I looked over her shoulder to see Jayden right behind her looking a bit worried. And I knew I was in trouble. "What the fuck did you do, you shithead?" She was towering over me looking wild with anger.

"How could you be so dense? I fucking told you to tell her everything. But no. You had to sit up your high horse and let your arrogant self dig up a deeper hole. That fucking bitch ruined everything and you let her? Why not tell her to shove that marriage contract up her hoity ass and throw her out? Fuck, leave it you to ruin the only bet thing that has ever happened to you. I should have told Maya everything when she asked me but my stupid ass actually believed you would do one sensible thing in your life." She was full on bellowing the words out and I had no choice but to listen to her.

She was right. This is all my fault. I had to go ruin the only thing that bought me happiness and peace.

"Maria, calm down." Jayden said from behind and Maria's eyes snapped to his. And we both knew it was his turn to swallow her wrath.

"What did you just say? Cal..." She trailed of and I followed her line of sight.

Oh. My. Fuck.

"What is that?" Maria said point at the piece of paper that almost killed me when I read it.

I closed my eyes when she snatched the letter of my desk and started reading it.

Jayden walked behind her, skimming his eyes through the words. "Holy fuck." He said under his breathe and I could do nothing but keep a lot more shitty about myself.

"I dot have to tell you think. But fix this Elijah. Tell her everything even if you have to pin her down. Because if you don't despite being one of the richest man in America, you would be nothing but the most poor in this entire world."

I held her eyes for as long as I could before I uttered the words that send a rush of determination through my body "I promise you."

She gave me a nod and without a word or a backwards glance, she turned in her heels and left me there to wallow in guilt.

I hurt my love and I wold do whatever it takes to redeem myself.

*****

~Maya~

Just coming out of the shower, I heard my phone ring. It had been ringing nonstop since Elijah left. He wasn't joking when he said he wouldn't give up. After declining his call for the hundredth time I contemplated blocking his number but something stopped me.

Picking up my phone from the bed, I was shocked to see a name I never thought I would a shiver of trepidation ran up my spine. Taking a deep breathe I connected the call "Hello Mr. Arnold."

"Miss Campbell, lovely to talk to after a long time." Jacob Arnold said. He was the lawyer who was my defended in my case verses Jackson. It has been years since I last talked to him and this call filled me with dread. There was still five years left until Jackson got released so why did he call?

"I'm sure you're wonder why I'm calling you right now."

"Yes I am Mr. Arnold. Your call has filled me with nothing but fear at this moment." I said but a small laugh but it wasn't returned.

"I'm afraid I am calling with a bad news Miss Campbell. Jackson Pierce has been released from prison early as a reward for good behaviour." The phone slipped through my fingers as everything went numb. My whole body trembled as fear zinged through every nerve of my body.

And that was when I screamed. I screamed so loud trying but failing to let all the frustration out. I screamed until nothing was left of me and a blanket of pure dark bliss covered my eyes. And the last thought I had was 'I wish Elijah was here.'