Chapter 1: Collateral Damage

Chapter 1 : Collateral Damage.

            "As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Its funny how rapidly situations can change in almost a blink of an eye, Meg had an experience firsthand when she was returning to Beacon Hills to visit her childhood friend Stiles when the next thing she knew she was being chased through the wilderness by a man with extreme dental, hair and hygiene issues.

Her feet pounded against the damp earth as Meg ran for her life, her heart raced threatening to break free as she ran as fast as her legs could carry her. The full moon lit her path but barely, the forest was in darkness and she found herself tripping constantly but there was no way Meg was about to stop, that thing was after her and it was fast. She could hear its primal grunts and the rips of dirt under him as he tore through the wilderness after her. She knew she couldn’t run for much longer, she was only human and that thing, whatever it was… was far from human. Meg knew she had to hide and fast. 

The long crooked branches cut at the soft skin of her face as she passed, she took a swift turn not looking back but Meg heard soil scrap under him as he took a sharp twist to come after her. The anxiety heightened her senses, Meg’s dark eyes darted to the trees and she increased her speed, her legs throbbed and burned in agony but she refused to stop.

But the effort felt in vain the moment Meg felt a sudden pressure on her ankle before she was forced to the ground. A scream left her lips on instinct as Meg struggled and kicked, clawing at the dirt trying to get away but the earth slide under her as he pulled her body without a care.

 Meg couldn’t remembered a time where she felt more afraid, her father had taught her to never show fear to an animal that threatened to attack her, but this was no animal it was a man and a beast at the same time, she could never forget those sharp canines protruding from his mouth and the twisted snarl at his lips and worst of all, the glowing blood lust in his amber eyes. Meg had known in that moment no matter what she did, whether she ran or stood stock still he was still going to attack her, it was all too clear, so she had ran.

But now, being completely defenceless and caught, everything felt pointless, she regretted coming here, she regretted running away. Her thoughts were cut short the moment when he drove his sharp canines into her thigh breaking flesh and drawing blood and then there was no train of thought, only screaming and agony. On instinct her body trembled and her leg jutted out kicking him swiftly in the chest and that only angered him, Meg tried to crawl away but he dug his nails into the base of her back using it as a fork to pull her back to him, Meg cried for help but only the echo of her screams answered.

Meg didn’t know if it was because her body has gone into shock or her brain shut the rest of the body from the pain but the pressure of the animal’s body left hers and it was just Meg on the ground struggling to hold on to the thin line which was her life. But she heard the sound of struggling above her and more growls and grunts like there were two now, but one was more fierce and powerful than the other. She heard the sickening crack of bone before a loud howl pierced the air around them, then there was whimpering that seemed to dim in each second, as if the creature was running away. There was silence and Meg thought, hoped that maybe he was gone, but what scared it off?

Meg tried to move away but hissed the moment she did, she heard heavy panting above her and panic only began to grow, it was still here it wanted to end her life.

“No.” she tried to speak but that was easier thought than done, her voice and body betrayed her, threatening to shut down.

“Don’t move.” Meg tensed it was a male human voice and she could sense the concern and warning in his voice. She felt a warm touch on her body, gently rolling her on to her back but stopping her before the wounds came anywhere near the dirt under her. Meg’s eyes focused on a dark silhouette towering above her, she couldn’t see any features but all she could make out was a pair of red eyes that were dimming to a soft grey shade.