Chapter 35

We were both awkwardly silent while sitting on the ground, placing ourselves outside the house door

"Aren't you cold?" He asked concernly while in the process of taking off his hoodie.

I stopped his hand by holding it with mine. He was already red because of the cold wind touching our bodies but when I held him, the touch of red on his face became a deeper color.

Not long after, I let his hand go.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

"Amber called me and said to come here. Good thing I did." I looked at him delicately.

We still had traces of tears after crying just a few minutes ago. We decided to come out to get some fresh air and finally have the chance to talk to each other sincerely.

"Talk." I ordered while turning my head up to look at the sky. "I want to know your side of the story, please." I smiled without looking at him.

"I didn't wanted to leave you, or to end things with you. It was all out of my control." He was just starting but I saw how his eyes started to form tears already. He refused to sugar coat his words, he went straight to the point and I don't know if I'm glad about it.

"I saw how upset you were whenever I'm needed at work. On our first and second year of relationship, I was holding on to us but came year three, I gave up. I was just trying to spend most of my time with you because I love you but you deserved better. You deserve someone who has time for you-"

"Don't pull that card on me. That's a dumb reason... We can still work things out back then, we loved each other, Gavin. And that was enough." I refused to look at him, I felt ashamed even though what I said was true.

"It is dumb but that was what I exactly thought everytime I saw you, it just won't leave my mind at peace. I didn't want to break up with you, I never really did, but I still needed to. All the things I've said to you back then was the total opposite of the truth. You weren't the one who was overdose, because I was. I wanted to spend most of my seconds, minutes, hours and days with you. I didn't want to leave your side." He licked his lower lip and wiped his tears. He looked at my hand that was a few inches away from his.

"Being with you made me contended, seeing you made me thrilled in ways no one can. I considered you as a home, my home, Estella. Everytime I told you I love you, I mean every breath I take is not only for me to live but for me to live and be with you. I was fucking overdose to the point that I was already living for you and not for myself." He was slowly reaching for my hand and I just let him.

"When I was in New York, nothing was easy. I was lost, completely. I was lacking sleep and didn't have the appetite to eat. I was dehydrated and I even lost weight. When Amber followed me one year later, she helped me. She even broke up with his boyfriend just to be with me. Good for her that she's engaged with the same guy now." He laughed even though he wasn't that happy.