Three Stages of an apprentice's training:

1.) Mastery of the Self
The Student of the Arts must first learn to manipulate their personal reality and remove psychological blocks which prevent them from doing so. The Apprentice gains knowledge of the self and access to their true will.

2.) Mastery of the World At this stage the student begins to study the world immediately around them and how their interactions with others affect their local reality. The student begins to understand that will and belief are two sides of the same coin, and that belief shapes the reality beyond ourselves. The apprentice is taught that reality is democratic in its purest form. Each person has a set of core beliefs known as a paradigm. These paradigms define a person's local reality and supplies information to the formation of local and consensus reality. If two people with opposing beliefs or wills occupy the same local reality, then that reality is based on Common beliefs of those two people. The weight of those beliefs have a 50/50 probability of being the local objective reality. This gets more complex the more sentient beings that you toss into the mix. The most time of a wizard's quest for wisdom and power is spent at this stage researching and understanding various paradigms. This can be a lifetime of work. This Stage teaches Empathy, Understanding, and the value of Cooperation. These three must be learned, mastered, and integrated before one can avoid the pitfalls of the Mastery of Others.

3.) Mastery of Others This is the final stage of learning and can only be mastered and used safely after proceeding through the first two stages. Attempting use or master any of the arts of the third stage will turn back on the practitioner or go "Wonky" for no particular reason. Extra-dimensional beings may claim to be able to offset this but in all cases I have observed to this point, the corrupted student is just being used and manipulated by another being that also tried to skip the second stage. If you get here by your own doing, this stage teaches you how subtly manipulate the realities of others to increase the probability of "spells" acting upon the realities of others.