16. Try me

September 4, 2001

"Mr. Kim.. Are you.. um.. okay?" Kasey, the new assistant somehow found the courage to question after contemplating for an hour of witnessing the forever mundanely calm boss of hers go bonkers at the case.

His usual blasé persona had a scary galled edge to it and no matter how antsy she felt asking him, her good-human side weighed heavier.

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?" in all non chalance he spoke out checking his phone again. "Get in the car." he unlocked and rounded to the driver's seat.

"N-no it's okay I'll take the cab. Y-you must be getting late."

"Late for what? Do we have a case you didn't inform me about?"

"Wh- no!" she looked addled at her boss before speaking "You have dinner plans, don't you? Mr. Jeon called-"

"Jungkook called you? When?"

"Um.. Yesterday? He wanted to know your schedule for today so he could plan your anniversary dinner?"

Taehyung looked back like the girl had grown horns, looking beyond perplexed at the mention "My what dinner?"

"Anniversary, sir. Mr. Jeon said it was one year since you both got together."

"I-is that... Is that supposed to be a celebratory o-occasion?" he muttered to which the girl whipped her head so fast it may have caused a sprain.

"You're joking, right?"

"We're not on the joke basis, Smith."

"But.. Mr. Jeon sounded so excited." she turned to her heels before looking over her shoulder. "I'm sorry, you'll probably fire me for saying this, but I hope you're really good in bed to make up for the bad boyfriend you are."

~~~~~

Closing the door behind him he walked inside so hesitant as if he were sneaking in for a theft. He looked around the living room.

Only a few months of someone living with him and his house doesn't look like his house anymore. Not one thing.

Taehyung hated change, like he mentions. But did he now?

He sleeps better now that Jungkook switched his electromagnet duvet for a furry blanket.
He eats better when it's Jungkook cooking for him and not the microwaved canned foods.
He works better when he makes sure Jungkook is studying in his own room.
He wakes up better knowing there's the world's best boy he has to push out of bed and force to go to college.

With these ingrained bubble clouds over his head, he sits himself down on the couch by that boy's feet who has curled himself on it into a cuddly little ball, chin tucked behind the knees.

He tenderly unwraps the folded legs and places them on his lap careful not to wake the boy up. Taking one foot in his hands, he gently starts to massage the pressure points, then switching to other foot alternatively; occasionally massaging his tense calfs.

His eyes never once wavered away from the halcyon side profile, so when the boy lazily fluttered open his sleep-filled eyes while he stretched himself out like the most adorable munchkin cat.

"Oh you're home?" he toned out in a groggy voice while wiping off the drool using the back of his hand and sat up.

Scooting closer so that now his thighs rested on the lap he lazily dropped his head on the detective's shoulder leaning inside the cage formed when the older wraped an arm around his frame.

"I made you cry again, didn't I?" Taehyung was as blunt as log of wood and Jungkook could never figure out if that was a boon or a bane.

The other didn't answer, only leaned away and hopped out of the couch causing the other's arm to helplessly fall on the cushion. "Bugs I'm s-"