Chapter Three

"Dude, seriously? Again?" Milo groaned as I pulled him away from the shops. "We go down there every time we hang out in this part of town!"

"Exactly!" I laughed. "No sense in stopping now." We stopped behind a restaurant to get some leftovers out of their dumpster.

"What if someone sees us, Lucas?" Milo asked me, glancing around wildly.

"Chill out man! Its not a big deal if - here, hold this," I instructed, handing him an open takeout box and starting to pile food into it as I spoke. " - its not a big deal if someone sees us, Milo." Once the box was full, we closed it and raced each other to the dock. I was winning and glanced back to see how far ahead I was, when I ran straight into someone. I looked up to see a tall man in a suit and coat, accompanied by an even taller man with a similar outfit and longer hair. "Sorry!" I gasped.

The first man frowned. "Lucas Crowe?" I nodded. Both men pulled out badges and showed them to me and Milo, who had finally caught up. "I'm agent Lennox, this is my partner, agent Thornton. We're from the FBI. We've been meaning to talk to you, Lucas."

I nodded. "Okay, lemme just -" I took the box of dumpster food from Milo and dumped it into the bay, where it was almost instantaneously swarmed by a hoard of seagulls. "There." I checked how much money I had and looked up at the agents, saying, "You guys hungry? I know a great place where we can talk over lunch." Agent Lennox agreed immediately, earning a slight glare from his partner, who did end up agreeing. So I led them to my favorite restaurant. "Clam chowder or Caesar salad?" I asked them. Neither of them wanted anything to eat. As we walked in, I called out, "Two chowder bowls, please."

"Coming right up!" Came the reply from the kitchen as we sat in a booth overlooking the bay.

"So, Lucas," agent Lennox started. "Do you mind telling us wha-"

"Agent," a deep voice interrupted him. The man who had spoken was wearing a suit and blue tie under a trench coat.

The agents frowned. "I thought I told you we were handling this case?" Thornton said to him.

"Yes, well. The boss figured you could use some help," he snapped in a tone that seemed to convey, Screw you, I do what I want. With a resigned sigh, Thornton got up to grab him a chair. But when he brought one back to the table, the man had already sat down next to Lennox in the booth. So agent Thornton set the chair down at the end of the table and sat in it himself. "I'm agent de Young," the man said, holding his hand out.

"Lucas Crowe," I muttered, reaching across the table to shake his hand. Something about him seemed... off. Different, somehow. But also slightly familiar?

"As I was saying," agent Lennox continued. "can you explain to us what happened at the family reunion?"

Sighing, I nodded, and began.