Chapter Four

"This year, the reunion was at Shannon's sister's house," I started. "I was in the media room upstairs with the other kids playing Monopoly while everyone else was doing their thing downstairs. One of my adoptive cousins, Emily, went downstairs to get something to eat. We went on playing Monopoly, but I realized it was taking her a super long time, and I went downstairs to see what was taking her so long. I got down just in time to see Shannon, my adoptive mother, snap her neck. I hadn't realized the others had followed me downstairs until they screamed. Sharon turned towards us, and I ran upstairs and locked myself in a bathroom.

"I could hear them screaming downstairs, and the screams getting cut off. I wrapped a towel around my fist and punched through the glass. I pushed the screen out and jumped through the window. It was a two-story drop, but I landed fine. I ran through the neighborhood until I could barely breathe. I knocked on the door of the closest house and convinced them to call the police. And that's pretty much it. That was a week ago."

The three agents nodded solemnly. Just then our food came. Agent de Young asked, "Have you had any contact with your father since the incident?"

I scoffed, "That dick lost interest in me the moment I was conceived. Why should that change now that I've been involved in a mass murder?" My voice was practically dripping in sarcasm.

De Young simply nodded. Agent Thornton asked, "When you saw your adoptive mother killing those people, did you notice anything unusual?"

I bust out laughing and Milo nervously chuckled, probably confused as to what I found funny. "You mean other than the fact she was killing her niece and not even batting an eye? That sort of weird?"

"No, I didn't - what I meant was, did you notice any cold spots, strange smells, that sort of thing."

I thought about that for a second, and nodded. "The lights were flickering a bit, and as far as strange smells go, when I went downstairs to see Shannon killing Emily, it kind of smelled like hard-boiled eggs, which was unusual because there weren't any."

The three agents all glanced at each other as though all of a sudden they knew exactly what had happened. I could've sworn they looked like they knew something I didn't.