Chapter Eighteen

"That was better!"

It was now after sundown and Jack was still trying to get the angel blade to lodge into the tree. I was encouraging him while Stacy, Max, and Eliot were sitting in lawn chairs scrolling on their phones. "It's cool if you can't do it, dude," Eliot spoke up.

"I can do it," Jack insisted. "Okay? Just... watch." Jack's eyes glowed and he raised his hand, and the angel blade flew over to him. Oh no.

"What.."

"The..."

"Hell?

He threw the blade at the tree, and it plunged in perfectly. Eliot stood up. "Dude! Are you like... a Jedi or something?"

"Kinda," Jack shrugged, and showed off his gold eyes. "Watch this." He pulled the blade from the tree and started making it do figure-eights in the air.

"Holy..." Max muttered as she stepped forward.

"This is so cool!" Eliot beamed.

I didn't agree with him. Jack was getting a little too daring with his moves, and I wasn't the only one who seemed uncomfortable. Stacy whispered something to Max, who in turn said, "Okay Jack, cut it out."

"Don't worry. You're safe. Look," Jack turned around and now the knife was flying in between us and the trio.

"Woah. Jack."

"I can control it," he insisted.

"I don't care! Just stop!"

He didn't. "Jack, watch it," I snapped. "I mean it. What do you think Sam and Dean would say if they knew you were showing yourself off like this? Our powers aren't magic tricks, Jack. You of all people should know that."

"Jack?" Eliot stammered.

They were really freaked out now. "Seriously Jack, stop!" Max bellowed. Suddenly, Stacy rushed forward to get away. "Stacy!" But it was to no avail. The knife plunged straight into her gut.

I shoved Jack out from in front of me and grabbed onto Stacy, carefully setting her down. "Oh God! Oh God!" Her friends rushed forward and Jack backed away, shaking his head and muttering something.

"Stacy, this is going to hurt, but I need to do it, okay?" I looked Stacy in the eyes, and she nodded weakly. I gripped the angel blade and quickly pulled it straight out. Before any more blood could pour out, I held my hand over the wound, almost instinctively. I had no idea what I was doing, but I knew that I had to. A light shone from underneath my hand, and from their stares, I could tell my eyes were glowing. When I pulled my hand away, her wound was healed.

"How-how did you do that?" Max looked at me in awe. I didn't say anything, instead stepping back so she could have a moment in private with her girlfriend, who almost just died.

Jack stepped forward to apologize, but Eliot stopped him. "Don't."

"But she's okay. Everything's fine, right?"

"NO!" Max yelled at him, standing up with Stacy. "Okay? Just... get away."

They stormed off and Jack looked up fearfully. Shakily, he mumbled, "Eliot?"

However, he wasn't as amazed as he had been before. "I don't know... what you are. But stay away." And he stalked off inside where Max and Stacy were recovering.

Jack stared after them sadly. I put a hand on his shoulder. "It's not your fault Jack." No response. "You get back to the bunker, I'll go talk to them." So my cousin flew back to the bunker and I flew inside, where Max and Eliot were sitting around Stacy on the ratty old couch.

They gasped when I appeared in front of them. "What do you want now?" Eliot snapped.

"I just want to explain," I sighed, sitting criss-cross on the floor where I stood. "Ask whatever you want, and I'll do my best to answer."

"What are you guys?" Max seethed immediately.

"Nephilims. We're half angel, half human. Do you guys go to church?" They nodded. "Did your pastor ever tell you guys about how the biblical Apocalypse is supposed to start?" More nodding.

"Yeah," Eliot spoke up. "The seals would break and Lucifer would get free and fight his brother Michael. But what does that have to do with-"

"That's what I'm getting to," I cut him off. "The archangel Michael is my old man. Lucifer is Jack's."

Max scoffed, "Figures."

I scowled, standing up. "You think he meant for this to happen? Jack hates his dad! He's trying his best to be nothing like him!"

"Oh, yeah. I can really tell," Max rolled her eyes.

I snarled, "It's not Jack's fault his soul's almost gone."

"Y'know what? I've got a question," Eliot scowled at me. "What makes you think we want to talk to you after what your cousin did to Stace? Huh?"

I glared at him. "I came to try to make peace. But I guess that's not an option." I made my way into the other room, picking up the stack of books that Jack had brought. "I'm taking these back. Goodbye." With that, I flew back to the bunker.