007

|| Stars, Bonds, Scales, and Tears! ||

Six months. It has been six months since Corazon, Law, and Daisuke left the Donquixote Family to try to find a cure for Law's disease.

In those six months things became pretty routine. Sail to an island, talk to the hospitals there, get kicked out only to have Corazon burn them to the ground after beating up the so-called 'doctors,' camp out in the woods before sailing off to another island to rinse and repeat.

Of course, sometimes the three would have to go shopping on the island they were currently on for mandatory supplies. Which mostly just consisted of Daisuke doing the shopping.

Daisuke knew that Corazon's heart was in the right place, even though they hadn't gotten any closer to saving Law's life, and Law was running out of time.

It was late at night. The forest was quiet, and the sky was so clear you could see the stars. Daisuke sat near the edge of the cliff that was by the group's current campsite.

When Corazon came back, he saw the fire had died out and was now a pile of dead kindle. He then saw Daisuke's figure, who's back was facing him.

The tall bird made his way over to where Daisuke was seated, seeing Law asleep in Daisuke's lap. Daisuke had rested his hand over Law's smaller frame, giving the boy support he didn't even knew he needed to sleep.

Daisuke didn't look away from the stars as he acknowledged Corazon's presence. "Cora-san," Daisuke began as Corazon sat down next to the two boys.

Corazon looked to Daisuke as he continued, "How many stars do you think are up there?"

Corazon gave Daisuke a bit of a confused look before following the boy's gaze to the stars. The dark blue sky was littered with them, making it look like a reflection of the heavens.

Corazon flicked the cigarette that hung from his mouth as he leaned back on his arms. "I don't know for sure," he said his deep voice matching the nighttime atmosphere, "but my guess is definitely a lot. Why do you ask?"

Daisuke's lips softly curled into a smile as he looked down at Law's sleeping figure for a brief moment before turning to meet Corazon's eyes.

"Mother-sama used to say that when we pass on, we'll become the stars of the sky so we can look over the people we left behind. And the better a person you were, the brighter a star you'd become."

Corazon gave the boy a sad gaze before he chuckled. "Well, your mother sure was wise," Corazon said as he looked up to the nighttime sky again, "yes, I do agree with that. I suppose you were trying to find her star?"

Daisuke sadly nodded. "Y-Yeah," he yanwed slightly, "I was."

Corazon smiled as he put his hand on Daisuke's shoulder. "I'm sure your parents, and Law's, are some of the brightest stars out there."

Law whimpered quietly at the mention of his parents, even though he was asleep. Hearing his whimper, Daisuke and Corazon both looked to the boy who was still asleep in Daisuke's lap.

Daisuke lightly caressed Law's cheek with his knuckles, making Law fall back into a soundless sleep. "You really think so, Cora-san?"

Corazon nodded. "Of course! They would have to have been amazing people to raise such great kids like you and Law."

Daisuke smiled brightly at Corazon's words. He then yawned again, feeling his eyelids getting heavier. He leaned into Corazon's side, enjoying the fuzzy warmth Corazon's coat brought.

"I know that one day, Cora-san, you'll become the brightest star of them all. So bright, in fact, that you'll be used to guide people home!" Daisuke tiredly chimed as he relaxed into Corazon's side, his hold on Law tightening.