Ch 3: Welcome to the Machine Shop

SATURDAY, SEPT 8, 2018

A few days later, Jisoo pulls into my driveway with her tan Kia Optima. It runs fine but one of the back windows doesn't work and it pulls to the right but it works well enough for her.

"Hey, Jisoo," I say as I hop in her car. "So we're going to DJ's place right?"

"Yeah. Apparently they're gonna start recording stuff for their next album," Jisoo says.

"That's cool! Have you heard any of the songs? Are they good?"

"We've only heard two songs. They're really secretive about their new music. They don't want us to hear them until they're finished. It should be the same two that they're recording so you'll hear them."

I nod, excited. I've been listening to their album Hybrid Theory on Spotify almost nonstop since the concert. My CD is proudly displayed on my bookcase. I only open it to read the booklet since they actually made one with all the lyrics in it. You'd think it was an official release from a major record studio. Apparently Rip does the songwriting and DJ does the producing and they both worked on the cover art and booklet together according to what Y/N told me.

We pull up to a black gate and Jisoo rolls down her window and punches in a code, opening it up for us. We pull up to a house bigger than Jennie's and Jisoo pulls into the driveway. Roose's van is backed up to the garage door, Y/N's Jeep and Jennie's car are parked in the driveway along with a new, white Mercedes.

"Ho... ly... shit," I stare in awe of the magnificent house. My friends are fucking loaded. I hop out of the car and see Roose and Dave going back and forth between the back of the van and the garage. I head over to them.

"Need some help?"

"Uh, we're mostly done," Roose responds, "If you wouldn't mind just grabbing that keyboard stand I'd appreciate it."

I climb into the back of the van and go to the back corner for the stand. I turn to see Roose is gone. I climb back out of the van and look around. The garage has a completely finished interior. A nice light blue rug stretches wall-to-wall. There's a mini kitchen area in the corner with a sink, a mini-fridge, a microwave, a Keurig single cup coffee maker, and two cabinets.

Next to that is two couches separated by a bookcase with a bunch of books on songwriting and music production. One shelf just has a few notebooks on it and a metal pen cup with various color pens and some pencils. Across from that, splitting the garage in half is a TV stand with a nice 65" flat screen on it. There is an Xbox One X, Playstation 4 Pro, and a Nintendo Switch plugged into it.

To my left I see a door next to a large window DJ is sitting in front of. Roose is in the room sitting at his drums. I head into the room with the stand.

"Roose, where did you want this?"

He points to his right, "Right there. Just set the keyboard on top of it."

I do and he stands up, "I'll be right back. I gotta go find my drum key."

Roose walks out of the booth and the door shuts behind him. My eyes land on a lonely microphone standing near the window overlooking DJ who's hard at work preparing his equipment for their upcoming recording. I slowly approach the microphone, not even realizing it at first. It's like I'm being called to it. Like the mic is a magnet and I'm a simple paperclip.

The next thing I realize I'm standing right in front of it. My fingers wrap around it gently and I close my eyes and, without even thinking, begin singing.

"How can you see into my eyes, like open doors? Leading you down, into my core, where I've become so numb." I open my eyes to see everyone standing outside the window staring at me.