Ch 4: Collaborations

FRIDAY, SEPT 21, 2018

I walk into the Machine Shop with the girls and see DJ sitting at his soundboard.

"Hey, DJ."

He takes his headphones off and turns to me.

"I was wondering if it'd be ok for me to record the lyrics to my song today?"

"You're done with the lyrics? Already? It's only been a week."

I shrug.

"I've been working on them nonstop. Y/N looked at them today in English class and said he liked them so I thought I'd record it so we could hear them with the instrumental."

DJ nods.

"Ok. Yeah, we can do that. Mind if I take a look?"

He holds his hand out towards me and I hand him the papers with my handwritten lyrics on them. He reads through, slowly nodding his head.

"Hm. These are good! If you want we can get started now."

"Really? Don't we have to wait for everyone else?"

"No. We just need you and me to record lyrics. I have your instrumental saved on here. Just hop in and throw on the headphones."

I quickly enter the booth and stand in front of the microphone, taking the headphones hanging on it off and putting them on my head. I hear a quick click and DJ's voice floods into the booth through speakers in the wall.

"You might want to keep one ear free so you can hear yourself. Otherwise, you might hit the notes wrong."

I nod and slide the right speaker behind my ear.

"Alright, you ready?"

I give him a thumbs up and notice Jennie, Rosie, and Jisoo all standing behind him watching me.

I close my eyes. Just focus on the music Lili. Focus on the music. The beautiful opening piano begins playing in my ear and I begin singing. When I finish and open them again I see everyone has arrived and is watching me. I see them all clapping but I can't hear it. My cheeks and ears begin burning. I walk out of the booth to all my friends cheering.

"Lisa! That was incredible!" Rosie says.

"Nice job," Jennie says.

I turn to Y/N. He smiles.

"It's beautiful, but you have a lot of dead air in the chorus that you might want to fill with something and you didn't have a final verse, it ends right when it seems to reach its potential."

"I agree," Rip says. "You're losing all the energy you've built up by not hitting those big moments."

"I was actually thinking of asking you two if you wouldn't mind featuring on it," I say, shyly. "I had a few ideas of what you two could sing to help me out. I think your voices would add more variety to the song."

Rip looks surprised. "I mean, sure. Let's see it!"

I pull out a second sheet of paper and show them. "So Rip, you'd sing these parts in the chorus and Y/N, I was thinking you and I could have this little back and forth in the second verse, but I was wondering if you'd be able to do it in a lower register."

"I'll try to make it work," he says. "Am I reading this right? These lines are screamed?"

"Yeah, wanna give it a try?" I hand them the paper.

"My part's easy so I'm ready to jump in if DJ's ready to record me," Rip says and DJ gives him a thumbs up.

Rip records his bits while I help Y/N rehearse the third verse. We record it and Kenzie even wound up giving some background vocals to me. When all is said and done DJ mixes it all together and we gather around as he hits play.