Ch 15: Tri-State

SUNDAY, JUNE 16, 2019: TRI-STATE

The scene at Yankee Stadium is otherworldly as an army of staffers race around the stadium in preparation for the show. I notice a massive production team setting up as well seeing as this tournament is going to be broadcast live on Hulu and VH1 as well.

They're going to perform on national television! This is so cool!

We meet Kate, Xero's assistant for Tri-State, and are shown to our green room which is actually just one of the luxury boxes overlooking the field. I gaze out the window at the massive stage and sea of music fans already filling the stadium.

"So," Kate says, turning on one of the large TVs in the suite, "this is setup to show you the live feed from the camera's out there. Or if you want to hear the commentators you can just switch to VH1."

She hands me the remote and the band leaves to do their soundcheck.

"So we're just gonna leave the live feed up right?" I ask the girls.

"Yeah, Bill and Doug, we're kinda pointless to be honest," Jennie says.

I set the remote down and sit with them at the table as we review the tournament bracket.

"So we don't know who Xero's up against yet," I observe.

"No, but what we've listened to over the week, I bet MCR will beat STARSET easily enough," Jennie replies.

"If both our friends win though, then it's Xero vs Arch Enemy in match 10," Rosie points out, concern filling her face.

"They're gonna have to face each other eventually Rosie," Jisoo replies. "When push comes to shove, we're here for Xero."

Rosie nods somberly.

I don't want to see Alissa lose out on her dream either, but it's Y/N's dream too! I'll support him over anyone.

"I think the biggest threats to Xero are Alissa and this band here called I Prevail," Jennie continues, pointing to the second band in match 4. "Their music is really good!"

"Better than Green Day?" Jisoo asks. "How much of their stuff did you listen to? They have some seriously good music."

"They've also been around the longest of any band here," I add. "Experience is important to consider."

"I'm telling you, I Prevail will beat them!" Jennie insists. "Either way, so long as Xero can beat Arch Enemy, they're a shoo-in for victory."

"I think you're underestimating the competition a bit," I say. "I want them to win too, but these are the top bands from three states. You realize how large that candidacy pool is?"

"All three from New Jersey are in high school," Jennie scoffs. "I think you're overestimating the competition."

We continue debating bands and who's a bigger threat than who until Xero returns and we wind up rehashing everything with them all over again.