Ch 7: Class Project and New Connections

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2018

After the long Columbus Day weekend, I go through my classes the same as always and eventually reach my Video Editing and Media Production class. Mr. Flinn has been teaching us a lot about how to edit with Adobe Premiere and techniques for filming. He mentioned on Friday that today we'd be receiving our first projects.

"Alright class, take your seats," my teacher begins as the bell rings. "So, I hope you're all excited to finally start creating something yourselves with your editing and camera knowledge. Your first project is going to be you and one other student are going to film and edit a music video."

My ear practically perked up. What?! This is perfect!

"You can do any song you want but there will be no repeats and you will obviously have to do a clean version." That part is met with a few groans from the class. "Find a partner and decide quickly."

I look around the room. I don't know anyone in this class. Who am I supposed to work with? People quickly pair together and song after song gets written on the dry erase board so the remainder of us know what's been taken. Eminem and Joyner Lucas' Lucky You. Camila Cabello's Havana. Maroon 5 and Cardi B's Girls Like You. I look around and notice a slender girl with long brown hair scanning the class for a partner. I walk over to her and introduce myself.

She smiles. "Hi, I'm Briana, but you can just call me Bri. Wanna work together?"

"Yeah, and I have the perfect idea for a song," I tell her.

"Great! I couldn't think of anything good," she admits.

"I'm really close friends with a band that's made up of other students from here called Xero. I figured we could do one of their songs and this way we could have the actual artist in our video!"

"That'd be so cool!" She says. "We'd surely stand out for that, but you think it's allowed?"

"I don't see why it wouldn't be," I tell her.

"Well, are they ok with it?"

That I didn't think about.

"Let me text them real quick." I pull out my phone and message Y/N.

He's in pre-calc so I hope he can answer

He's in pre-calc so I hope he can answer. Sure enough, after a few minutes, I get a reply.

 Sure enough, after a few minutes, I get a reply