Ch 9: Taylor Gang Rolls Deep

SATURDAY, NOV 10, 2018

We walk into Cam's personal recording studio, me listening to the track he sent me for the millionth time. I've been listening to it all week trying to figure out what to say and I got nothing so far.

We're here for Xero to make their song with Cam. Jennie had recorded her feature at the Machine Shop yesterday with DJ and we all listen to the finished version with Cam.

The only people who'd heard Jennie's verse before now was Jennie and DJ so when she ended the verse with, "Said he had a friend for my homegirl Lili, Lili, Lili, Lili," we all burst into laughter.

"So, Cam," Y/N says, after the song ends. "Rumor has it that Brendon and Ari already finished their songs too."

"Yeah, you guys wanna hear it?" We nod and he plays them for us.

"I still can't believe you wanted to work with them," Jennie says disgustedly.

"You really gon sit there and say they ain't talented?" Cam says turning back. "I'm trying to give my friends a spotlight when I go to the Interscope Records headquarters in Santa Monica tomorrow. Remember, you and your boys are on this tape too. I got no beef with them so I ain't bout to exclude them for no reason."

Jennie rolls her eyes and Cam turns to me. "Which reminds me. You got something for me?"

I gulp. "N-not yet."

"Today's it," Cam says. "You asked me to let you shoot your shot. Don't choke now. We can record it here so I can play it for them tomorrow."

"Let's just focus on you and Xero for now," I say.

Cam sighs and turns to the guys and they begin discussing their song. Jennie turns to me and whispers. "You haven't written your verse?"

"I've been trying," I whisper back. "Every lyric I think up is meant to be sung, not rapped."

"Maybe you just aren't a rapper," Rosie whispers to me. "It's no big deal. I can't do it. Neither can Jisoo."

"I can do it," I say. "I'm just having trouble because my brain has been so focused on rock lately."

"So let's get you focused on rap," Jennie says. "The guys are making their song, maybe something will rub off on you."

We watch as Xero and Cam discuss their songs for hours.

Eventually, Kenzie blurts out, "It really isn't this big a deal! Cam, you already got the feature and a studio's attention. You practically made it."

"I didn't do it alone," he says. "I never would've blown up without friends like you guys helping promote me. If any of us make it, then we make it together."

"That's it," Y/N says slowly. "Holy shit! That's it! Cam, play the track."

Cam pushes the play button and their piano intro begins playing.

Y/N then sings, "Together we made it. We made it even though we had our backs up against the wall."

That sparked them. The rest of the song came naturally to them and after a few more hours of straight writing and recording, their song was finished.