Ch 6: Bad Influences?

FRIDAY, OCT 5, 2018

I hang up my phone and turn to see Cam handing Y/N a red plastic cup while Jennie puffs away at the blunt as she stands up and goes back towards the kitchen.

No, they're perfectly fine influences on me. People are allowed to have their vices...

"Want a drink, Lease?" Y/N asks as Cam holds a second cup out to me. Not wanting to be rude, I take it and sip. A burning, cinnamon sensation coats my throat and it feels like my body temperature immediately rises a few degrees.

I cough. "What is this?"

"It's called Fireball," Y/N tells me. "It's cinnamon whiskey."

I nod as I try hard to avoid cringing as I watch Y/N gulp down the drink. I sit down next to Rip and sip my drink again reflexively since I'm holding the cup and immediately regret it as the nausea-inducing liquid rolls down my throat.

"If you don't like it, you don't have to drink it," Rip says to me quietly. "I hate Fireball."

I let loose a sigh of relief. "Thank God. This is disgusting!"

Rip takes my solo cup and hands it to Y/N, shaking his head to let him know my feelings about the bile. Y/N just shrugs and shoots my drink back.

"Not for you?" Cam asks, lighting another new blunt and taking a drag. "My parents and I got everything under the sun. Whatchu like?"

"I, umm, I've never really..." I stammer.

"Oh shit! You never drank?" Cam says, "Damn, Y/N of all the people for you."

"Cam, just give her one of mine," Rip says. Cam nods and reaches into a cooler, pulling out a glass beer bottle with a Blue Moon label and pops the cap off before handing it to me.

"This is a nice, tame beer," Rip tells me. "It has a little hint of orange too."

I sip the drink.

"It's not nearly as bad as Fireball," I tell him. "Still tastes kinda funny though."

"That's because you need to acquire a taste for beer," Rip says. "Still no big deal if you don't like it. I'll drink it for you."

I sit the beer down next to him.

"You just might not be an alcohol-kinda person," Cam says to me. "I ain't that much either."

"Yeah, you prefer the more natural intoxicants," Rip jokes.

"Damn straight bruh," Cam laughs, holding up his blunt.

"So Cam," I say, "How do you know all these people? Are they all from our school?"

"Nah, I mean, some are but a bunch are also homies of mine from Dickerson," he tells me. Rip and Y/N suddenly both tense up and Y/N takes another double shot of Fireball.

"What's Dickerson?"

"A hood a few towns over," Cam tells me. "Not the safest place in Jersey. Lotta gangs, guns, and drugs."

When he says 'drugs' Y/N downs the remainder of the Fireball and walks away.

"He ok?" I ask Rip who nods while drinking his beer.

Jennie then roams back into the room holding a wine glass filled with red wine, still puffing away at her, now half-finished, blunt.

"Hey, if Snoop Dogg can be famous essentially for smoking weed, I don't see what the problem is."

She holds the blunt out to me, "Wanna try?"

That makes me hesitate. Drinking is one thing, drugs on the other hand...