𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

It took so long to find an end to the forest, but once seeing what appeared to be a road in the nearby distance.. he begun picking up a bit of pace when walking. Within just a couple of minutes.. they were out of there and on a smooth road. " Finally.. " He uttered.

035 stayed silent, in thought. It was honestly surprising.

049 rose an eyebrow, looking down toward the mask. He was about to speak to the other... but he knew it would be best if he'd just enjoy to silence. Without another moment to think, he begun heading down the road whilst keeping close towards the forest. He wasn't one to really like being out in the open.. or sticking by the paths.

After a while, 035 broke the quiet. "You still walk the same way, I believe," he said. "I might be wrong since it's different from down here."

" That raises.. so many questions. " He said with a small sigh before shaking his head. " Different from down there.. are you hinting at something? "

"Oh, nothing," he said. "Just making some observations. Why do you stick to the side of the road so much? I don't think you ever told me."

Even if he wouldn't admit it, he did enjoy the small talk that the other provided. Sometimes.. you just need to keep yourself from thinking about too much. " One could say I just wasn't one to enjoy the spotlight. "

035 chuckled. "I suppose that's the difference between us, mio amico," he said.

" Oh... there are many differences between us. Just not all of them are obvious. " He said, followed by a light chuckle.

"Well, a very central one at least!" he said. When he wasn't being so cold, 049 was good company, he remembered.

" I suppose so.. " He uttered before humming in thought. " Cela a-t-il été difficile pour vous? I mean.. in your containment cell. "
( T: Cela a-t-il été difficile pour vous? : Was it difficult for you? )

"Ugh, terrible," he replied. "Very boring. They could use a decorating tip or two."

" I see... not surprised to say the least. Being held in a glass case for how many years must get boring for such a godly object such as yourself. " He said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. " Oh.. but didn't you spend how long in a museum? "

"Oh come on, that was different! Everyday, I had millions of people coming to see me. It was just fate that someone would eventually get me out of there."

" I suppose it is.. but, isn't millions a little bit of an exaggeration? " He said with a small chuckle. He'd then slow down for a moment, squinting his eyes. " Excuse me, mon ami.. but, I think there's what looks like to be a town ahead of us. "

"Oh? Let me see, please." 049 would hold the mask up over his head as he came to a stop. " Can you see it? "

"Yes, I can see," he said, laughing a little. "Looks like a good start. I can't believe we haven't been caught already."

With that, his arms fell back down in front of him while he continued to hold 035 close to him. " I wouldn't get your hopes up, mon ami.. if I'm correct, were only a few miles away from the facility. "

"I know," he said. "We need to stay hidden... ugh, what a waste. And you'll just be so inconspicuous with that mask of yours."

" Right right.. and a theater mask, dripping a disgusting black goo substance from it's mouth and eyes which that can speak is very inconspicuous..! " He said with a small irritated grumble. " What do you want me to do..?? Surgically get it removed?? "

"Yes, in fact. It is ridiculous," he stated bluntly. " It is not. Your grin is ridiculous. " He rebutted while continuing on ahead.

"I can frown too!" he replied. "And besides, I think I look very charismatic. Charming, even."

" Yeah right.. " He scoffed as he looked toward the side. If it could be seen.. a small red brushed up against his cheeks.

035 watched him, feeling something change in his hold on him. Had his hands gotten warmer? He suddenly wished he had a hand to hold his. Damn it, what am I thinking? He pushed the idea away.

Once arriving outside of the town, he stared nervously at it while standing completely still. " It's.. here. I can sense it. Maybe.. we can just, move onto the next town. Does that sound good? "

"Oh god, not with this again," he said, exasperated. "It's going to be everywhere, you know. You'll have to deal with it, doc."

" No.. no, it can't be everywhere... there HAS to be someplace where there's not scent of the Pesilence. " He claimed, looking around the place.

"Ugh... I'll let you look. It's not as if I have anything better to do. Or could do anything."

049 clenched his jaw, his eyes returning towards the town. He'd inhaled for a moment... before exhaling. " We're getting in and out.. right? Or well.. I am. " He said as he mentally prepared himself. Even though didn't want to go anywhere near what he saw at the Pestilence.. for 035, he could make an exception. Besides, he was getting a little tired of carrying the mask around.

"Sure," 035 said dismissively. "One night, and then you can go wherever you want." He felt a twinge of something... bad. Sadness, perhaps? He wasn't quite sure.

" What I want and what I need to do are two VERY different things, mon ami. " He spoke bluntly before hesitantly beginning to head into the town.

"Oh?" he began, genuinely curious. "What is it you want to do, then?"

=======

what if- 
i left it off with not even a good cliffhanger? :0

too bad i already did. nOW GO VISIT THE BIRB BOI'S CLINIC